Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

I am currently researching preschools for my DD, even though she is only 15 months. Its too early to send her, but I like to do my research.

I am just curious... What kind of preschool do/did you send your kids to? Montessori? Reggio? etc? How much do you think is too much to pay? And if your child has already gone through preschool, how did you and your child enjoy the experience?How often did your child attend a week? How involved were you?  What made you choose that preschool? What were the outstanding features?

I know its a lot of questions to answer, and you dont need to answer them all. I appreciate any and all answers, and I thank you in advance for your responses.

I live in Southern California. Here, there are many many different types of preschools and education philosophies. And the price ranges from very cheap to almost $800 a month for 4 days a week. Price is not an issue for her education, but I dont want to pay an outrageous amount, regardless.

I'm not looking for drama, bashing etc. I am looking for a civilized discussion about your experiences and preferences with your children and their preschools.

Thank you all again!

I am completely in love with my little family. I have a wonderful man, who loves me oh so much. And we have a gorgeous, super smart, loving little girl. Her name is Scarlett Bella and she is our entire world. I feel like the luckiest woman alive. Thank you God for the life you have given me.

in love

by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 4:28 PM
Replies (11-20):
Shaynas_Mommy
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Some places don't have free public pre-school I live in a very small town, and there is only Head Start, (which we probably qualify for), but I don't like it, the Christian pre-school we chose for DD, and a Baptist pre-school. Both you have to pay for.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

A friend told me something that is very true , at that age is best to do some type of free school. when they get to a older age then spend the money if u want to. She put one daughter in private school after kindergarten only. I think that is a good idea, but whatever  you decide you are the mom lol.

PRMommy86
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Were military so my son will be going to pre-k at one of the elementary school's here on post, one is next to my house. I do not pay because of our status. When your not military, here it all depends on your income to go to pre-k around here so I wouldnt know what to tell you. But I had a friend here who had her daughter for full day prvate school pre-k and paid $300 a week.

Aidanlove
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM
When my daughter was 3 we put her in Montessori Preparatory School. At first we liked it then we started to see it change. My problem was that the new teacher she had couldn't understand a simple question I asked. She didn't speak English very well. Sorry but that's a Huge problem. We pulled het and sent her to another private school called Grace school. She will be at Grace for her second year. We just love this school. We send her 5 days a week from 7:30- noon. It costs about $450 a month. Worth every penny.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybug77
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:17 PM

She will start in Sept. We go threw the local park district. She will go 2 days a week for 2 hours. She will also take gymnastics 1 day a week for an hour. I am not sure if she will also do dance. She has 2 older sisters who do girl scouts. 1 of them will have an art class & volleyball & the other 1 is on the gymnastics team so I try to spread of the activites.

mommybug77
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:18 PM

I live in Chicago unless you are low income there really isn't anything free.

Quoting Shaynas_Mommy:

Some places don't have free public pre-school I live in a very small town, and there is only Head Start, (which we probably qualify for), but I don't like it, the Christian pre-school we chose for DD, and a Baptist pre-school. Both you have to pay for.

Quoting kaylasmom22:

A friend told me something that is very true , at that age is best to do some type of free school. when they get to a older age then spend the money if u want to. She put one daughter in private school after kindergarten only. I think that is a good idea, but whatever  you decide you are the mom lol.

Mme.Langley
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Thank you ladies for your replies!

I am enjoying hearing about what you have gone through with preschool, good and bad. And I am going to lookk forward to taking a tour of each possible one.

:)

SAMNMAYASMOM
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:26 PM

Well, my oldest went to a YMCA preschool. I was on PA (yeah, yeah, bash away) at the time, so it was free. She loved it. They got to play, they fed them, taught them, and had a nap time. I liked it, and so did she. Now, my youngest is going to the same YMCA preschool. However, we are doing a lot better financially, so we have to contribute a little bit. IDK how much it costs normally. We are supposed to be paying about $186 a month. I think that's fair. If we had more money, I wouldn't mind paying more. Hmmmm... Well, with both of them, they were/are attending 9 hours a day. With my first, I had a M-F job from 8-4:30. With this one, I am only working weekends until Aug. 16th. Then I will be in school full time, and working full time. So I won't be able to pick her up. DH will do the picking up. At first she didn't like it, (even though she's been bugging me to go for forever)but she's gotten used to it. :D

ColoradoMtn.Mom
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM

My daughter is about to turn 4, she has attended 1 year of preschool and will be in another year before she is old enough for kindergarten. The school she goes to has a nature based curriculum, serves Organic home cooked lunches and snacks, and draws from several education philosophies. The aspects that I have valued most in her school are 1) the amazing amount of time spent outside (winter included) playing, exploring, learning 2) the way her teachers encourage the children's creativity, there is no one way to learn, create, or think, and 3) the family atmosphere that is present there. I would recommend visiting different schools, talking with staff, and checking out references. Then trust your gut, where do you feel most comfortable sending your child for the day? You have plenty of time so ask parents in your area what their experiences have been.  As far as cost goes, it will depend on your area. Our tuition ranges from $280/month for 2 days a week to $650/month for 5 days a week. This is typical for child care where I live, which has a higher cost of living too. Good luck!

Mme.Langley
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Did any of you have an educational philosophy picked out before you started looking around? Like Reggio? Or was your decision based on finance and convinience? Thanks again!

jessicaaris
by on Aug. 4, 2010 at 5:44 PM

My son goes to a private preschool that is run through one of the local churches. We are not religious but it is the best one in town so I wanted him to go there. It is also a daycare center for kids under 3 years old and at 3 they switch to a preschool setting. HE LOVES IT!! They just chagned their rates for this fall but we will pay $288/month for 3 full days a week, which averages out to about $24/day. He is potty trained and they provide meals and snacks. It is really great there. All the teachers are so nice!! They do teach some bible stuff but the oldest age group is 5 so obviously they don't bombard kids with religion. They do crafts and read stories and play outside and walk to the park down the road and have special days, like sack lunch day and cooking days and stuff like that. They are very involved with the kids, it is not just a run around and play type of place (although they do have free time where they can do that). I wouldn't want him anywhere else. He will be old enough for public preschool soon but I am thinking about keeping him where he is because it is so nice.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN