Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Speech Therapy

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM
  • 17 Replies

Does you child go to speech therapy?

How old was your child when they started to go?

Do you think it has helped improve your child's speech?

Pittsburgh Pirate Fans UNITE!!!!

Let's GO BUCS!!!!!

cafemom group111247

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lundaylove
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:41 PM

currently my daughter does not have any therapy but will begin again in a few weeks.
we started all her therapies at 6mo, but speech started right at her 2nd birthday
speech definately has helped, as has her getting tubes. But for my other daughter who didnt need tubes, speech got her talking and she hasnt stopped since =)

mommy31007
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:45 PM

my 4 yr old needs to go,  but i have not been able to get him in yet.  but from what i hear, you have to get a recomendation from a doctor and where i live they dont let you take your child to therepy until they are almost 4.  My aunt took her son and it has helped him a great deal.  It was a slow process but it is showing results

momof2kiddos79
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Does you child go to speech therapy?He will start the first week of Sept

How old was your child when they started to go?7

Do you think it has helped improve your child's speech?This is the first time he will be going. I sure hope it helps. He is going for studdering.

Rubygl00m
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:47 PM

My 7y/o DD started speech at 2 y/o. She is still way behind in her speech but she is making improvements all the time.

My 3y/o DD started at 18 months. She will talk your ear off now but she still lacks in her receptive speech. Speech has helped her also.

Rubygl00m
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Quoting mommy31007:

my 4 yr old needs to go,  but i have not been able to get him in yet.  but from what i hear, you have to get a recomendation from a doctor and where i live they dont let you take your child to therepy until they are almost 4.  My aunt took her son and it has helped him a great deal.  It was a slow process but it is showing results

Call and ask your school district for an evaluation. He is past the age that early intervention will provide services for him(cut off is 3y/o) but the school should do it now.

JessecaLynn
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:52 PM

My son started therapy just after his 4th birthday after trying to get him and his twin help from the time they were 18 months.

It has definately helped him.  I went from understanding him about 50% of the time to 75% of the time in 6 months.  He will start again when he goes back to preschool in just a few weeks.

igot2crazyboys
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM

my son is 5.5yrs old. he has been going to speech since he was about 2.5yrs old....he is doing great. he went twice a week to a private speech theraphy place. then when he started school he went twice a week there and this summer he went back to the private place twice a week..school starts next week and he will start back up at school twice a week. it has done a world of difference for him. his speech is so much better. i and others still have a problem understanding some of his words but it is so much of an improvment.

mjgreeley
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM

I have a 5 year old that goes to speech therapy right now. She started when she was 3. It has helped her some but she recently lost her front teeth making speech more difficult again.

momx22
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:35 PM

how would i know if my kids need speech therapy? my 3yr old can be hard to understand sometimes but i THINK thats "normal" for an average 3yr old, isnt it? its hard to tell because i find myself always comparing my boys to eachother and my 4yr old was speaking very clearly by 2yrs old.but i realize their not the same their very different and they each have their own pace of learning and absorbing.

mrsbean08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM
my son was born with cleft lip and palate. So they want him to take speech therapy because of it. He went to his first appointment when he was 18 months and he was about at three year olds speech level so now the insurance won't cover the therapy. She gave me a lot of good things to do at home though to help him stop drooling as much and learn to suck. They have really helped.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)