Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often do you host your family or friends for brunch or dinner?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm trying to create and maintain some semblance of a budget here. How often to you have people over for a meal? And how does it affect your budget or vice versa? Thanks!

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
smurfy88
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:20 PM

i never have people over

Kida-Beth
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:36 PM

It's more like when the friend that is a nurse has free time we try to do something.  Usually a night of games, bonfire or 4-wheelin where we all try to bring something and our own drinks for 'adult fun'.  Tonight we're trying to get together here for game night with Griffin but no definite plans have been made yet.  Last year for Thanksgiving is the first time that we ever had a dinner and that's so we can start a tradition for Griffin and any kids in the future.  We try to get together at least once a month for something but it's hard with everyones schedule sometimes.

But it doesn't really change the budget much.  I'm the baker of the group so I always have something sweet on hand to make for last minute get togethers and we spend like $20-30 dollars if it's adult only.  If it's a budget that worries you then do what we do and everyone bring something to help out whoever is having it that turn.

mom2swtboys
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:38 PM
We usually have thanksgiving, easter & christmas at our house. BUT everyone brings a lil something to help out. Even with kid bday parties, everyone calls the hostess to make sure they don't need anything.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FrogSalad
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

We don't.  Our house is way too small and I'm too neurotic to have anyone but VERY close family over.  DS's preschool teacher is stopping by for a home visit in the next few weeks and I've been agonizing over it for the last 3 months!

clovismommy25
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM

We eat at my moms once or twice a month and she eats over here about once. We provide the meat for our own family, and spilt the sides, it works out great for us.

rockinmama07
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:40 PM

It's very rare that we have anyone over to eat with us.  I gave up inviting a long time ago because we were always turned down, or someone would accept and then not show.  Generally, it doesn't affect our budget too much.  I typically cook more than what we need anyway so that we can have the left overs for lunch the next day.  The few times that we have had someone over to eat all it's really done is kept us from having left overs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)