Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 years and preschool

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM
  • 16 Replies

Okay, I don't want to sound too overly worried about this...  My son misses the deadline by like 3 weeks. I'm considering putting him in a class with the 4 year olds his first year of preschool instead of with the 3 year olds. I've noticed he has a change in behavior when he is around younger kids.  He all the sudden wants me to help him do everything for him.  Feed him, dress him, etc...  When he's around older kids he is much more independent.  I want him to have two years of preshcool- what's everyones thought on this?  He could go with the 4 year olds this year and continue with the 4 year olds next year. This year he will be going to a in-home preschool and next year he'd go to the preschool our Charter school offers to 4 year olds.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boothfamily
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I think that's a personal choice. My girls only went to Prek for 1 year. So personally I wanted my girls home that last year before they had to enter school! It's a big/hard decision, Good Luck!

I do think he would do ok with the 4 year olds.

bamababe1975
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I think that's a personal choice. If you feel he'd handle being in with the 4yos better, then do that. :)

wentworth99
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:02 AM

My son will be 5 in October this is his 2nd yr of preschool he is is pre-k. I wanted him in a class last year with 3 almost 4yr olds because they were all starting out at the same time , they were all learning about school and having more of a structured day at the same time. I personally did not want him with older kids because they would have had a whole year of school on himm KWIM ?

sunfireprincess
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM

I would put him with 4 year olds, especially if he is more independant that way.

Ambear72
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:17 PM

It sounds like a good idea to me.  Check both preschools and see if the lessons are something that he wont get bored with next year. 

Danielle_Nicole
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I think that pre-school is a good idea regardless.Gives the kids a chance to be around kids their own age.

Life is the flower for which love is the honey

me-n-mygirls
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:30 PM

this

Quoting Ambear72:

It sounds like a good idea to me.  Check both preschools and see if the lessons are something that he wont get bored with next year. 

LyTe684
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:33 PM
How old is your son? If he's three, I think he should be with kids his age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:35 PM
I know here they have to go by the age. I don't think I could have put my 3 year old at a 4 year old class, eventhought she might be ahead of other 3 year old . Kids will always pick stuff from others some good some bad lol
LyTe684
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM
Even if he is 'mature' or'independent', I'm sure academically the four years olds are more advanced. I wouldn't be fair to your son (OP), the teachers nor the other students.

Quoting sunfireprincess:

I would put him with 4 year olds, especially if he is more independant that way.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)