Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Food Wars. Help!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

My son is a very picky eater. I am willing to take some of the responsibility for this. I have been a short order cook for him and made him different foods that what we were eating.

We have now decided to stop making him other foods and just give him what we are eating. He does not like to try new foods. He won't put new foods in his mouth even.

If he does not like what we are eating, he will cry and yell. It can make meals a little stressful.

I am wondering if any of you Mommas, have gone through this. If so how long did it take you LO, to start trying new foods? I know they say it takes 10 -15 exposures to new foods for them to eat them, but I am very discouraged. Any positive feed back would be greatly appreciated.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aamy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Simple, put a plate in front of him, and if he eats then great. If he wants to try and yell, send him to his room. Dont fix him anything different. He WILL eat when he is hungry enough. Tell him you will NOT put up with crying and yelling and whining at the table, that he can go to his room and come back out and join you all when he is DONE with his tempter tantrum. 

Maries_Mom23
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:59 PM

THIS

Quoting Aamy:

Simple, put a plate in front of him, and if he eats then great. If he wants to try and yell, send him to his room. Dont fix him anything different. He WILL eat when he is hungry enough. Tell him you will NOT put up with crying and yelling and whining at the table, that he can go to his room and come back out and join you all when he is DONE with his tempter tantrum. 

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
me-n-mygirls
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:03 PM

well I've never had it that bad but a few things we've done

-let them help make it or just do it themselves

-call it princess or prince food or whatever character works....backyardagian special sample or little einsteins chicken pie

-give them dip....my 3 yr old will use dip for EVERYTHING if I let her so when she doesn't want to eat it dip makes it better.

-eat or don't eat and he has that choice.....cause he won't starve hisself and when he is STARVING it'll be the best food EVER!!!! 

good luck and I hope you get an answer or idea that works for you :)

Aamy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

well I've never had it that bad but a few things we've done

-let them help make it or just do it themselves

-call it princess or prince food or whatever character works....backyardagian special sample or little einsteins chicken pie

-give them dip....my 3 yr old will use dip for EVERYTHING if I let her so when she doesn't want to then she eats them.

-eat or don't eat and he has that choice.....cause he won't starve hisself and when he is STARVING it'll be the best food EVER!!!! 

good luck and I hope you get an answer or idea that works for you :)

Personally i would NOT do the "dip" idea, that can cause and issue in itself, and most "dips" out there are either so full of salt or sugar its not good for kids to have ALL the time, unless you want to make your own and you can make dips out of veggies and what not. 

Slieurance
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:36 PM

When he has a fit we send him to time out, when he is done he has to come back to the table.

I don't do dips because he really does not like them, like I said he is really picky. Thanks for the advice though.

Nykkii
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:01 PM

My son tries almost anything.  If he's being a pain, I wait a minute, then offer it off my plate.  That always gets him to try it. 

I've given him a taste of something right out of the pan while cooking before, too. Then, when I put it on his plate, he knew he liked it. 

Slieurance
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 7:52 AM

BUMP!

christine.r2624
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 7:56 AM
This!! My son came back from 6 wks with his dad and was the pickiest kid ever! (Previously he would eat everyrthing!) It took 2 days to realize momma's rules hadn't changed. May take you a little longer since you've been short ordering for him though. Good luck!

Quoting Aamy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Slieurance
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Thanks. This is what we are doing, it is just a little discouraging.

akgraff
by on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:23 AM

yeah we did this for my daughter. we also bought books about eating healthy(kid books) and that helped. Eventually he'll get it

Quoting Aamy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)