Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I married an Atheist.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM
  • 56 Replies

I have been with my Dh for 5 years now. Whenever we would talk about faith (I'm Christian) He would tell me that he believed in God but was not so sure about all the "details". I was okay with that. He is a great husband and father. He has awesome values and morals and we are very happy together. Well last night we got on the subject and he said he didn't believe in evil and demons. Well of course I do. I asked him more about it and realized he didn't believe in anything. I asked him if he was an Atheist and he said "well...I guess so. Please still love me because I will always love you." Of course I still love him. He is the love of my life.This does bother me though. If he dies tomorrow I won't have the comfort of knowing I will see him again someday. I don't know what to do...I am lost. I don't judge him for being an atheist, it just scares me. I want to be with him for all of eternity. I have been praying for him since the day we met. I have always had a sense of peace about it so I haven't worried much, now I don't know. HELP ME! Is there anything I can do? Opinions welcome from the religious and atheists...

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leosmama2006
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:35 PM

Oh man, I don't know what I would do. I think I would have my husband talk to our pastor if I were in your boat. I am a christian as well. I think thats the first step I would take. He could ask the pastor his questions.

smurfy88
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:39 PM

I personally wouldnt push it because then he is just gonna get upset. I don't believe in anything either. Just because he doesnt believe doesn't mean that you cant believe you guys will be together in the after life. If that comforts you then you can believe all you want regardless of what believes.

3mommy3
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM

Can't really help you, but my son is Atheist. He is 19 and has been raised in church his whole life...He is a wonderful, caring and thoughtful boy...Not a dark tortured soul that most would associate with being Atheist. I just pray that one day he will come back to the religion his was raised in, but if not I just pray that he is always happy in whatever religion he may choose...Or none at all. I just try not to dwell too much on it and I do still invite him to go to church with us each week...He kindly declines unless it is a holiday that he knows his Papaw would want him there with him.

mom2swtboys
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:40 PM
I agree with PP and also, keep praying for him. Prayer is SOO powerful!! Keep going to church, have people pray for him. God will answer your prayers. Just remember, it won't happen overnight so don't get discouraged and don't give up on praying!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajtherad
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM
I don't know..my Husband and I see eye-to-eye in that aspect (just like with nearly everything)!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
camy41075
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Just keep praying for him and God will touch him when your dh is willing to let him in.

Nyx7
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:04 AM

Religions are all saying the same thing, they just use a different guy as the front man. Athiests aren't these tortured souls doomed to walk the earth or perish in the flames of damnation, they simply don't use the same words to describe their beliefs. Bet he believes in good forces & bad forces. Don't get caught up in the semantics of language, what one calls a demon another may call friend & both would be correct.

Jellybean82
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:45 AM

Is he a good husband?  A good father?  He loves you and you love him?  Yes?  So what's the problem?

Many religious people don't realize this, but most atheists are normal, good, happy people.  Just let your husband be who he is.  Respect his right to his own beliefs.  If praying for him makes you feel better, then do so, but let him be himself.

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:53 AM

What should you do? Nothing. There's nothing you CAN do that won't affect the quality of your marriage. If he's an atheist, openly praying for him will be condescending. Trying to convince him will be annoying. Trying to trick him into believing will be infuriating. Trying to nag him into believing will be wrong and inappropriate.

His beliefs are his beliefs. Yours are yours. You either learn to deal with that difference, or you leave. Those are your options.

Ayla-bellesmom
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Most people associate atheists with "dark tortured souls"? lol Wow.

Quoting 3mommy3:

Can't really help you, but my son is Atheist. He is 19 and has been raised in church his whole life...He is a wonderful, caring and thoughtful boy...Not a dark tortured soul that most would associate with being Atheist. I just pray that one day he will come back to the religion his was raised in, but if not I just pray that he is always happy in whatever religion he may choose...Or none at all. I just try not to dwell too much on it and I do still invite him to go to church with us each week...He kindly declines unless it is a holiday that he knows his Papaw would want him there with him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)