Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st day of Headstart/Pre-K...need some advice

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM
  • 4 Replies

So, it was DD and DS' first day of school today. They go 4 days a week for 3hrs 15mins. Well, today went pretty good. No melt downs when I had to leave. But, when I went to pick them up the teacher talked to me about DS. He's 3yrs (just turned 3 on the 13th). She said that DS had a really difficult time listening. That he went off a lot of times and just did his own thing. That he was all over the place. And when they would call him, he would ignore them. Now, I've always known that DS was this way. We have tried and continue to try, to work with him. Once he finds something he really enjoys doing he doesnt want to stop to do something else. When they went to play outside he didnt want to come back in and threw a fit. Now, i was wondering if this was normal? I thought DS might act different because he wasnt dealing with mommy and daddy and being told by his teacher. I thought that would help him listen. But, I'm a little worried that DS might have it hard. I dont want him to be a problem child. He plays well with other children. But, he has a hard time listening and following rules. Has anyone been through this? Does anyone have any advice?

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MylifeMylove23
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:16 AM

I wouldn't worry about it until it is a few weeks after starting.  It was only the first day.  My son's first week he started hitting kids.  This will be his 4th week and last week they told me he stopped hitting now :)

aelopez
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM

ok. I know its just the first day, I guess I'm just worried that he's going to continue not listening. DD did good, she just wouldnt eat lunch. Thats a WHOLE different story.

MylifeMylove23
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:22 AM

Yes, I worried a ton when I found out he was hitting because he never hits ever!  Also, he didnt eat very much his first few weeks, I think he was really excited or something.  Now he is eating better.  My son turned 3 today so he was almost 3 when starting preschool, also he goes to a head start too.  I was so happy to hear that he stopped hitting.  I think he just needs to adjust to the new setting and I think he will listen.  Here after 30 days or something they will write a behavioral paper or something if they think he needs it.  Just remind him maybe to listen to his teachers when you drop off.  Thats what they told me to do about the hitting.  Good luck!

Quoting aelopez:

ok. I know its just the first day, I guess I'm just worried that he's going to continue not listening. DD did good, she just wouldnt eat lunch. Thats a WHOLE different story.

NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 3:15 AM

He'll probably adjust.  Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)