Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pody training

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:50 AM
  • 6 Replies

My step son is almost out of this group(starting kindergarten in a week) but do any of you have trouble getting your little ones to flush the toilet and wash their hands after using the bathroom? It's EVERY SINGLE TIME with him. I'm constantly asking "did you flush the toilet and wash you're hands? ....go back and use soap this time."  It's gotten to the point where a grown man at work went to use the bathroom and I didn't hear water running, so When he came out I almost asked him if he washed his hands and flushed the toilet!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tml06451
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:08 AM
We're not there yet but here's a bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LancesMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I wonder if the moms in the potty training groups would have ideas. Maybe a reward system for him. A fav piece of fruit or candy if he flushes and washes w/o you telling him!

crazynut
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM
I have signs all over the bathroom.... Plus I give rewards!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
proudmama511
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:26 PM

My SS9 still doesnt remember to...

chassity
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Well before my daughter actually started using the bathroom herself, when she was two, she would follow me into the bathroom and I would let her flush when I was done and we washed our hands together.  Then when she started using the potty I stood there with her and watched her and then when she was done I would tell her what to do next, like flushing the toilet, then washing her hands.  I always made it a big deal when she did this, often signing and praising her a lot.  My daughter is 3 now so I had to do this to build that repetition. 

Have you tried being there to remind him of what to do next immediately after he's finished?  Maybe this could help him remember what to do next after he's done!  Of course praise and rewards always help as well, especially with older kids.  Hope some of this helped.

anne85910
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:13 PM

thanks you guys! i'm kinda sick of the reward system, he expects them for eating his dinner, etc. Plus he's not with us all the time. we have him for a week, then he goes to his moms for a week. we have no control of what happens there, just was wondering if it was just him or if all kids are like that. thanks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)