Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM
  • 24 Replies

There are a lot of 4 year old's that are in pre-school right now and my dd woke up at 5am this morning, I couldn't understand why so early.  Then when the sun shined through the windows she came running into my room all dressed up with her pretty skirt, top, accessories (she looked so cute) and she said okay mommy i'm ready for school.  I wanted to cry b/c we won't be able to afford it this year b/c when I got pregnant I got really ill and i've missed months of work and well things are really tight now.  Her cousin is the same age as her and she goes to pre-school.  How do you explain to your 4 year old that she can't go to school like her other 4 year old cousin just b/c mommy & daddy don't have the money.  She just doesn't understand money yet and it's breaking my heart.  I looked into scholarships but there isn't any where i'm living as far as I could tell.  The cheapest I could find would cost almost $2,000 for 9 months of pre-school and that is only 3 days a week, 3 hours each day.

My dh brought up that her cousin is in pre-school b/c such and such and I said "Don't do that!" and then he started yelling at me saing he isn't going to lye to her but I just feel like bringing her cousin up will cause our dd to be jealous of her cousin for being able to go to school when she can't.  He said it doesn't matter b/c when kindergarten starts her cousin will be 5 and Clara will have to wait another year until she is 6 b/c her birthday is Oct. 29th, but pre-school and kindergarten are two different things. 

This whole thing has me all worked up, I hate feeling this way but I just want to protect my dd from being jealous.  Am I wrong for not wanting to bring her cousin into it.  What would you do?  I need support to calm my emotions.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
milenko_chick
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM

Play school with her at home. Set up a special area and get some pre-k workbooks. Make it fun for her and it wont cost nearly as much as an actual school.

anniebuttons
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM

the other alternative would be maybe homeschooling for preschool. i know they have work books out there even for preschoolers. do that once a week and maybe set up a playdate with her cousin when she gets out of school then the kids can play and learn?  i dont know if that helps, but you could try it. that way she will get to learn and have a freind to play with

ClaraBearLove06
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I think that's a great idea.  I will buy the Pre-School workbooks and have a time eachday for "school time".  Then when the girls get together and her cousin says something about school Clara will also have something to say.  There is a tabs store near bye.  Are there other places to buy school books at for home schooling? 

milenko_chick
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:22 AM

I've seen workbooks on the Target and Walmart websites but its a limited selection.

ddhb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM

I agree with your husband that you should tell her the truth. 

Cinderella423
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

awww yea that has to be sooo hard....  your city doesnt offer any free programs?  We have free preschool and headstart here...  Maybe you could look into some activities at your local library...  best of luck!

anniebuttons
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

you might be able to find some work sheets online that you can print off. here are some links with worksheets.http://www.tlsbooks.com/preschoolconcepts.htm

http://www.first-school.ws/theme/alphaletter/a.htm

http://www.first-school.ws/theme/numbers_preschool_printables.htm just google printable preschool worksheets. lots will pop up. good luck

ClaraBearLove06
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

I'm sorry I didn't finish that part.  I don't think we should mention her cousin in any of the decision making unless she asks us straight forward, "why is --- in kindergarten and I have to wait another year?"  I would never lye to her of course, I just don't see why he brought her cousin up b/c they can both go to pre-school together but we can't afford it right now.  I have told her we can't afford it but I can't expect her to fully comprehend that right now and by bringing her cousin into it it's giving her upset emotions of unfairness.  But I am very honest with her.  When we gave her dog a new home I explained to her in advance why we had to do it instead of hiding it from her.  I have to clarify this b/c I don't want it to seem as if I would lye, I don't want to bring something up that doesn't matter.  Her cousin has nothing to do with her not being able to start school right now, it's money and that was our disagreement.  I don't think he understood where I was coming from and I don't see why he brought her cousin into it.  It was blue vs pink argument lol.  See my cousin was about 6 months older than me and she started school at 5 and I had to wait tell I was 6.  She acted like she was all that and throw it in my face for years and I ended up disliking her b/c of it.  I just don't want my dd and her cousin to go through the same thing and my hubby doesn't understand why I don't see the point of bring up her cousin.  I think it's important to focus on what's current.  So I actually didn't lye I told her the truth about our current situation that is keeping her from going to pre-school.  He also had just woken up and was pretty grumpy so I think he wasn't thinking straight either.

Quoting ddhb2007:

I agree with your husband that you should tell her the truth. 

ClaraBearLove06
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:10 AM

Thank you all so much for the idea's and links.  I'm most definitely going to get these things and print some out as well.  I think she will be very excited about this.  I didn't realize I could buy pre-school workbooks.  However, I also found some preparing for kindergarten workbooks that have things we have already been working on so I might get her that also to prepare her for kindergarten.  I'm all excited now :)

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:38 AM

I would do some homeschooling with her. Have a place where "school" happens in your home.

Is there any way for you to get some kind of assitance to help her go to some type of pre-school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)