Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi New here and need help!!!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM
  • 14 Replies

Hi ladies I am new here. I am so glad I found this group because I am desperate for help with my 3 1/2 year old!!!! He is so far behind and its stressing me out! For example he knows the letters when I point to them but he still doesn't know to put them in order. He somewhat know to count but only to ten and he usually skips numbers like 1 2 4 5 7 ect. He doesn't actually know what the numbers are when I point to them tho. He only likes to scribble on the paper. I try to entice him with stickers and other little prizes for doing something write but that only goes so far. He has a very hard time paying attention and sitting still. He just likes to scribble on paper. He can't trace or write or even copy like a line. He says he wants to go to school so I know he wants to learn. I try and spend as much time on this as I can.

Now as far as like physical development goes I think he is either right where he should be or a little advanced. He can dribble a basket ball and make hoops almost every time. He can hit a ball with a bat when I throw it to him, he doesn't need his tee anymore. And he almost can ride a bike with no training wheels. 

I try and make the learning as fun as I can but I am stuck and don't want him to go to school and be way ahead! Please please help!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle_Nicole
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM

He sounds normal to me!!!You're expecting too much out of him.

ddhb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

It sounds like his gross motor skills are great, but he's struggling with his fine motor skills.  Does he know how to cut with scissors?  My daughter likes to "write" with her fingers in pudding or shaving cream.  Try to do some finger painting with him to strengthen the muscles in his hands.  As for sitting and learning, well it's boring.  Would you like to be cooped up in a house working with letters and numbers or out playing ball.  Maybe you could count the number of times he hits the ball with his bat, or the number of times he can dribble it to make it fun.  Letters can be the same way, play reverse Horse with his basketball, but work on the ABC's instead of spelling Horse. (Everytime he makes a basket, he get's a letter.  Print a big one on a sheet of paper, and add them to his pile in order.)

iluvmybabyboy72
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Really you think? I just get so worried because I hear of these super kids at his age that can say their abc's and count to like 30 ect.. I know boys are slower and he has been slow in almost every milestone especially when he was a baby. I just worry and don't want him to be behind where he should be. I do have a LOT of those preschool workbooks it just can be so frustrating.

iluvmybabyboy72
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM

no he doesn't know how to cut with scissors. I haven't tried giving him those yet. Thats a great idea though with finger painting I will start doing that more. And the basketball horse game!! Wow Im so glad I found you guys lol!!

cmorbeauty
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Relax...I have 5 kids, they all learned differently at their own pace. he sounds like a very normal 3 1/2 yr old little boy :)

chcon
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Quoting ddhb2007:

It sounds like his gross motor skills are great, but he's struggling with his fine motor skills.  Does he know how to cut with scissors?  My daughter likes to "write" with her fingers in pudding or shaving cream.  Try to do some finger painting with him to strengthen the muscles in his hands.  As for sitting and learning, well it's boring.  Would you like to be cooped up in a house working with letters and numbers or out playing ball.  Maybe you could count the number of times he hits the ball with his bat, or the number of times he can dribble it to make it fun.  Letters can be the same way, play reverse Horse with his basketball, but work on the ABC's instead of spelling Horse. (Everytime he makes a basket, he get's a letter.  Print a big one on a sheet of paper, and add them to his pile in order.)

Good suggestions here.  Incorporate his love of sports into his learning.  Get some sidewalk chalk and work on letters outside on the sidewalk/driveway... hopscotch... Keep track of how many times he hit the ball as a "score"... etc.

And just to contrast, my three and a half year old boy is knows his alphabet and counting by sight and memory and such... but he's still working on hitting a ball with a bat.  He's done it a couple times but still needs work on that.  :)  Some kids develop physically first, others academically.  Just keep working with him.

Cheri
Wife to Joel
Mom to Alexandra (5), Logan (3), Ian (2), Samantha (1 mo)

Domsmom86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:12 AM

yeah, he's not behind at all!  Most boys dont learn how to write until later!  

ClaraBearLove06
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Quoting chcon:

Quoting ddhb2007:

Good suggestions here.  Incorporate his love of sports into his learning.  Get some sidewalk chalk and work on letters outside on the sidewalk/driveway... hopscotch... Keep track of how many times he hit the ball as a "score"... etc.

And just to contrast, my three and a half year old boy is knows his alphabet and counting by sight and memory and such... but he's still working on hitting a ball with a bat.  He's done it a couple times but still needs work on that.  :)  Some kids develop physically first, others academically.  Just keep working with him.

These are wonderful suggestions!  My dd is doing pretty well both academically and physically only b/c my grandparents watch her for me while I'm working.  My grandmother is a master at English and My grandfather is out side all the time and she spends equal amounts of time with them.  They also use fun ways to learn with her so she get's a lot.  It's great too b/c she has so much energy. 

I've started working on her hand writing skills.  My grandmother told me to introduce one letter a day like an "A" day where you go over nothing but "A" stuff.  You can use a dry ease bord for him to draw the letters on to save on paper.  I noticed my dd who will be 4 this october has trouble writing her letters on lined paper so I started using computer paper and it was much easier for her not so stressful.  But it was expensive to use that so someone told me to use a dry ease board ;).  Hope this helps some with writing.

I can't afford to put her in pre-school right now, so i'll be buying some books like you say you have.  I found a Complete Resource book that gives you lots and lots of ideas on how to do things (Amazon is where I found them).  It's not a workbook but it gives you great ideas that even the teachers are using.  Here's the link....

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Resource-Book-Preschoolers-Curriculum/dp/0876591950/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I6LQR1AYPWUA6&colid=N5QDIXV6V6DB

I hope this helps some :)

bhwrn1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM

Sounds normal to me. Don't be stressed. My 3 1/2 y/o doesn't seem to know his numbers (at least not by looking at them). It's driving me batty. Keep in mind that every child is at a different level when they enter school and teachers must cater to the individual to help them learn. Just keep doing what you are doing.

la_bella_vita
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Sounds normal to me = )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)