Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth control questions!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM
  • 8 Replies

I'm going in for my post-natal doctor's appointment today and I am considering getting and IUD. I have been researching the difference between Mirena and Paragard. I am concerned with the hormones in Mirena and with heavy periods and cramping with Paragard. Does anyone have any experience with either and have a reccomendation? I am breastfeeding so I need something that wont interfere. Thanks alot!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Melame68
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:24 AM

i had the paragaurd and i would strong recommend that you NOT get it!!! bleeding....bleeding...tons of p=bleeding. pain. it moved it stabbed i camped. during my period i just rolled in a ball and cried it hurt so bad.

MommyRJ
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:25 AM

i got the Paragard last week...so i cant say much yet, but so far no bleeding or cramping or anything- just the first day.

i wanted the Mirena but dont want the hormones so i decided to at least try this...if it gets too out of control im taking it out and doing the Implanon.

we will see- there is an IUD Paragard group if you want more info

RockinMama0608
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:27 AM

I have paragard and there is a lot of bleeding.  I don't get cramps, but my period is about 2 days longer and MUCH heavier.

It is nice that it does not have hormones, so there aren't any side effects (like moodiness or weight gain).  It really depends on what you want to put up with. 

MommyRJ
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Quoting RockinMama0608:

I have paragard and there is a lot of bleeding.  I don't get cramps, but my period is about 2 days longer and MUCH heavier.

It is nice that it does not have hormones, so there aren't any side effects (like moodiness or weight gain).  It really depends on what you want to put up with. 

right. im anxious to see how my first couple periods go....

if its awful awful like the horror stories i have gotten- i might remove it. But if its just slightly worse then ill deal with it because its more gauranteed BC.

i know i have VERY light short periods so im guessing mine will become "normal" lol

..Randee..
..Lover to Brandon..
..Mommy to Mister Bryley Scott 10.27.08..
..& Mommy to Miss Kamrynn Clare 6.24.10..

crimsonangel180
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:30 AM
I use mirena it didn't affect my breastfeeding. Ask the doctor about it. I have had no issues with my iud
CVislosky

I have the pill so I can't give you any advice here. Sorry. Here's a bump though.

EMTmommy125

I have the Mirena for 2 1/2 years now. The day you get it is when you will have some cramping, That is what I had but it only lasted that one day. For the 2 1/2 years  that I have had it, I have never had any spotting / heavy bleeding or cramping. I personally think it's the best birth control out there. 

mom2swtboys
I have the mierna, I'm getting it removed in 2wks after 3yrs of having it. It was ok, but I spot thru out the month so I wear a pantyline everyday cuz I never know when I'm gonna spot. I bleed everytime dh and I have sex and I have the decreased sex drive (a side effect) can't wait to get it out. There are other things, but I'd only talk about thru a private message. Pm me if you wanna know more.

I'm sil has the paragaurd and bleeds 2wks off 2wks bleeds 2wks off 2wk. That's how it is for her and has been that way for the last 2 yrs.

My other sil had the paragaurd and hated it, got it removed after a year or 2 it caused her a lot of problems.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)