Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Independent Play

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM
  • 2 Replies

My three year old daughter will not play by herself at all!! She is an only child and spends all day driving me completely nuts with begging me to play with her. I blame myself 100% because I used to spend the whole day on the floor playing with her. I like to think she is as smart and as advanced as she is because of me spending the time with her. But now I think she is getting to an age where she should spend sometime by herself playing totally alone. I just have no clue how to get her to focus on one thing and play. I will get her playing something and the second I walk away or try to do something else she is done with it.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
maddysmom8809
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Do you know of anyone who has children that are her age that you can arrange some playdates with? Maybe you can find a playgroup / Mom's club in your area to find some play friends for her? Not every child is independent and she may be one of them. She may do better in a group setting.

SassyPainter
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

My son was like that, but I just had to be firm with him...."I'm sorry, but mommy has to fold laundry now."  I still spend time with him, but reality has to take over sometimes.  And now, I am going back to school, so he has to accept that mommy has to read her books.  It's tough, but he is learning how to play near mom and we can co-exist harmoniously. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)