Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

you get what you pay for....or in this case, dont pay for.....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

In Feb. this year i enrolled my dd into a preschool/child learning center/daycare. The curriculum was great there..DD at 3yrs old learned the pledge of allegiance, how to count to 10 in Spanish, she learned a few colors in Spanish, learned how to trace letters and numbers, and did activities that corresponded with the letter and number they were working on that week.....I loved that place and so did dd and the teacher was great with keeping order and teaching routine and stuff like that.   Unfortunately i had to take her out because i could no longer afford 225.00 every  two weeks..

well....

I preregistered her for a government assisted preschool program, but was denied because we were over income....then last week i got a call from the school telling me that they offer a program called Preschool Preppies, and that it was for children over income...I jumped on it...DD really was begging me to go back to school....I was told that they would go every day until Sept 20 and after that it will be every Monday and Thursday....for two hours a day.....so i sit here and think....well its better than nothing...

Yesterday........was dds first day...we had orientation before the class started and the teacher seemed really nice and outgoing....and then she started talking............she started saying things like...3yr olds dont need to learn how to write, they need to strengthen their hand muscles, so she will be letting them play with play-doh so they can squeeze it.....ugh......then she said that she doesnt require the kids to sit in a circle or criss cross applesauce their legs during story time....she said "they are three, i dont expect them to do that"......I then looked over the class schedule to see what they do throughout the day.......they have 45 minutes of group activity......the rest of the time is free play, clean up and getting into the class room.......they are only there for 2 hours...if i wanted my dd to play with fucking toys all day i would just keep her home.....and then i sit here and tell myself, atleast she is playing with other kids her age and learning how to share.....

I just hate that this teacher thinks 3yr olds cant do anything.....i thought they were becoming independent and eager to learn, and soak up all the good learning.....not playing with toys every day...

the moral to this vent/story/whatever you wanna call it is: you get what you pay for...you pay for a good education, you get one(in most cases), but you get free government education, you get poop......

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
LyTe684
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I agree with you. I think that is ridiculous.

StaceysMom4706
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

I used to work at a preschool -

I think that them not "needing to learn to write" is a bunch of BS... as well as the whole not needing to criss-cross applesauce during group time.

45 minutes of group activity out of 2 hours is actually really good - especially for a 3 year-old class! For a 3 year-old that is a looong time!

Remember, kids learn through play. Play is their work.

Also, free play is part of how kids learn to socialize, which is a very important part of development.

BLNmomofNathan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Same...I am sorry :( I teach my 3 y/o myself, no one in this area is good enough for the job in my opinion. I only hate that he doesn't interact with other children his age, but he has his little sister (she is 13 mos) and little aunts (they are 25 mos) so I settle.

Quoting LyTe684:

I agree with you. I think that is ridiculous.

toddler boybaby girl  expecting boy

Nathan-1/3/07Dalilah-7/21/09Sully-12/26/10

cnetlady
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:19 PM

That is just crazy. i would go to the director about this honestly. my children are both in a gov/state funded headstart center and they learn all throughout the day and they love it. i would talk with the director.

farrah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:22 PM
I have to agree with the teacher about the writing for now. If these kids are just turned three they need to strengthen their hand muscles. Playing with play dough, practicing cutting with scissors, and just coloring will improve those muscles. Regarding the time spend doing learning I think its pretty good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)