Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool Troublez...HELP!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

Ok so my son Gabriel started preschool two weeks ago and did great! He never cried or begged me to stay. the teacher always told me he was a good boy and always participated,and he's never had an accident. So basically all seems well. -FYI he's been fighting off a cough- So yesterday I got him ready for school and he was fine, we drove to school and he was fine, we get to the classroom door and he starts crying, I consoled him a little and seemed fine so I left him. I get a call 40 mins later from his teacher saying he's coughing to much come pick him up. So I did and I talked to him at home about how he was feeling and if their was any other problems he said no, mind you he really wasnt coughing that much when he got home. So today comes and same thing happens we get there and he's crying saying "i dont wanna go to school I wanna go home" So the teacher says if he's still coughing take him home. So Im ok with that part, but I know my son's attitude is fine he's well enough for school he just doesnt wanna go for some reason....So now Im afraid if I keep him home too long He'll not wanna go back and he'll think all he has to do to stay home is pretend to be sick.....So i would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to handle the situation !

Thanx, Corrina

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ddhb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I would talk to the teacher about your concern that he's faking being sick to stay home.  Ask if she's noticed any changes in his behavior or playmates over the last week or two.  I think you need to get her on your side to fix the problem.

jessicaaris
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:53 PM

I would try to get him over his cough as soon as possible so he has no excuse to leave school or stay home. I am sure the teachers will be able to tell when he is faking it. I bet once he starts going again he will remember how fun it is and it won't be a problem anymore.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
kaidansmylife
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM
My brother tried that. My momma told him that if he didn't go to school all his hair and his ear would fall off lol he was in like the 1st grade, and NEVER faked sick again! Lol but why can't he be at school with a cough? He's not feverish or anything right? His teacher needs to get over it, kids cough. Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babygurl6162008
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:01 PM

sorry i dont know what to tell you my sons never tried this but heres a bump

holmes212
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

to me it kind of seams that the teacher is encouraging it a little bit.. i don't have kids in school but i have nieces and ive never heard of the teachers sending them home because of a cough just like daycare they dont send them home unless there is a fever.. hmm i duno it just doesnt seem like the teacher should be sending him home. and if shes aware of him not wanting to be there she should picck up on the signs?

LiLMaMa573
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Wow thanx for all your comments this is my first time on this site and I'm amazed at the quick responses.....Ok so i am gonna call his teacher, and I've talked to him about anything bothering him and he says alot of different things nothing stix, so I find it hard to trust any one thing. The 2 things that seem to be said the most is that he doesnt like the play ground and that 2 kids dont like him (reason unknow).  Hes enrolled in State preschool so i guess they dont really care if the kids miss school,they must be trying to keep the other kids from getting sick I guess, and no he doesnt have a fever. And I just found out today that his teacher is sick so maybe thats why she didnt mind 1 less child!

holmes212
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:36 PM

ya if that is the case with the teacher i would be very upset because that is interfiering w/ his interaction time and learning time.

onecuteladybug2
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 2:02 AM

If you think he's faking, let him know that sick kids have to spend the day in bed, with no TV or games of any kind because sick kids need to rest. He'll quit faking pretty quickly if you stick to this rule.

LiLMaMa573
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 1:29 PM

@ ladybug....u know I tried that for the 3 days he was out of school,  and he doesnt care apparently, I've made it as boring as I possibly could.  I took him to school this morning and he cried again and didnt wanna put his name tag on he kept pulling it off....but I left him anyway thank god they didnt call me to pick him up cuz he was still coughing a little bit!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)