Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many activities?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

I have a 4 year old son and a 19 month old daughter...

My son is in preschool 5 days a week for 3 hours a day... he's also in gymnastics once a week (73 bucks a month!)  and we've just signed him up for soccer (only once a week on fridays) and basketball (once a week on thursdays)  I'm pretty sure we'll stop gymnastics after septemeber... but seriously this kid needs to be busy!  He's always wanting to do more and more! which is awesome, but expensive!!

What kind of activities are your kids in?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chassity
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM

My daughter is 3 and I'm thinking of starting her in preschool soon.  We only have a 4 day and a 2 day schedule which I'm trying to decide between.  I've been thinking of starting her in dance classes but I'm not sure if she's ready for so much at once.  Honestly I think that one activity will be enough for her, but that's just how my daughter is.  She likes to do her own thing instead of following a structured activity.

justanotherjen
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:55 PM

None.  Last year my youngest daughter did gymnastics once a week through our park.  She was 3 1/2 when she started and it was $10 for 3 months.  She also partcipated in her older sister's class for free.  The teacher and helpers thought it was cute when she would stretch with the big kids, lol.

This year she is doing nothing.  As far as I know none of my kids are doing activities.  We barely have money for food let alone extra stuff.  My 7yo will do Girl Scouts as soon as we find a troop but we might actually need help with the dues this year until hubby is done with his leave and back to work (he's been off since the baby was born).

Aidanlove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM
My daughter is in gymnastics and dance. Those are both
Once a week. We are looking into karate. She also has school 5 days a week from 7:30 to 12pm and speech 2 days a week for 30minutes.
ZoeCY
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:06 PM

My daughter is only 2 1/2 and she isn't in any activites yet but we plan on having her try t-ball next summer and soccer the following year.  I want to find a gymnastics or dance class but we live in a small town and I don't want to drive 45 minutes especially because she isn't a huge fan of being the car.

Joey07
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:31 PM

I just signed up my son to play soccer which is once a wk after this season is over he will play basketball, he needs to keep busy casue he is driving me crazy LOL too much energy!

thatgirl70
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Mine is in Head Start, but right now that's it. I wanted to sign him up for something, but DH wants to wait til he's a little older (like 4). He's kind of sensitive and he's not sure he'll react well with authority yet. But hopefully with HS he'll get more used to it. But at this age, I will not do more than one activitiy for him at a time. I think that's enough for him.

starbeck96
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:11 PM

My older boys (12) play baseball.  That is the only sport as of right now.  They were going to play football but decided against it, decided to wait one more year and just play jr. varsity.  They will probably play in the church basketball league this year.  They will try out for jr. varsity baseball sometime this fall. 

My daughter is 3 (almost 4) and she is too young for sports here.  I really can't afford to put her in dance or gymnastics.  This spring she will start softball so we are very excited. 

My daughter is very hyper and I think this will help her tremendously. 

luvplay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM
My dd is 2 and 1/2...she isn't in any activities, but I want to get her in swimming, dance, or gymnastics. I just have to find somewhere and come up with some money!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ezranight
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Ds is in school all day, leaves here at 8 gets home at 4:30...off to pradctice from 6-8 pam M-Thursday.  Games on Sat or sun, depending...ONE sport is enough for us.  He has NO down time at all M-Thursday.  By the time he gets home, goes over his papers, and has something to eat, it's time to leave...then we get home at 8:30ish, it's time for bath, dinner and bed...hopefully by 9:30 at the LATEST...which is already an hour and a half past his bed time...

jnthrln
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM

My 3 1/3 year old is doing preschool and this winter I'm thinking about putting her into an ice skating class.  But I will only allow my children to do 2 activities at a time.  They need to have time at home where they can spend time with you.  You don't want to overschedule your kids.  While it's great to expose them to different things (which I am all for) I believe it needs to be done in moderation like everything else in this world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)