Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age do you get your child involved in sports, music etc

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: How many of you have children under 5 involved in sports.

Options:

3yr old

4yr old

5yr ikd

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 12

View Results

Okay so I have a 3yr old who just got signed up to play soccer this fall but was wondering at what age is a good age to get them involved in mutiple activities where it won't be too much. I would like my son to get involed in music too but don't want to over whelm(sp) him.  BTW he just turned 3 this summer.  What would be good thing to do with my soon to be 15mo old. thanks

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
cholita1978
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I got my Dd involved in sports at 2 1/2 , soccer for tots was first, now she is in "sports of all sorts" at the YMCA, but in two weeks she starts creative movement (ballet for tots) this going to be twice a week,  I wanna put her in more activities but it is hard to find something after my working hours, everything is in the mornings around where I live. 

chcon
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:36 PM

The closest mine have been was taking a sports skills class at the Little Gym, the older was 5 and the younger was 3.  Otherwise they've not been on a 'team' or in a 'league'.  My oldest wants to take dance lessons (almost 6)... I have to look into that.  I have four children and sometimes it is just not feasible to cart all of them so that one can do something. 

As far as music goes, a friend of mine teaches piano and voice and she has had kids as young as 3-4 but she said it really depends on how well the child can focus on what they are doing and how interested they are in doing it.

starbeck96
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM

My daughter is 3, too young to play anything here right now.  If they had a 3 year old sports I would have definitely let her play.

My daughter loves music and sings in church quite often.  Our family is very musical though and she has been around since she was born.  We have boys that are 12 and so she has been around sports and music her whole life.  One of my boys plays the guitar, one plays the drums, and they both play a little keyboard.  My husband also plays guitar and teaches it.  I sing and have since before I could even talk good.

My husband is also an artist (going back to school to become an art teacher), and one of my sons also loves to draw and paint.  So we are hoping she will also love art.

iluvmybabyboy72
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM

We just signed our 3 1/2 year old up for Soccer once a week starting in Sept. Its only like a 8 week thing and its not teams yet, just kind of shows them what to do. After that program we will do baseball for another 8 weeks same concept. Next year when he turns 4 they do the little kid coed soccer teams which he will be doing. I would sign him up for more if I had the money and time. He has lots of energy!

Joey07
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM

wow so average so far is 3 to start sports...I still want to do music but will wait till he is much older right now I don't think he will focus too much on it...maybe once he is 4 I will reconsider.

Jessesmummy2009
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 4:29 PM
I teach piano and recommend aged 6 to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:44 PM

We started at the age of 3. My daughter is 4 now and she is in swimming lessons and choir.

Mary229
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I'm going to sign my son up for soccer next spring.  He'll be 4.  I don't think he was capable of playing an organized sport yet this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)