Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What are the advantages of preschool?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM
  • 36 Replies

Can anybody tell me what the advantages of preschool are?  I mean really what are they?  My DD will be 3 in January.  She is potty trained, knows her colors, shapes, most of her letters, and a lot of her numbers.  She can sing all of her ABC's and counts to 20.  I understand preschool will also help her socialize, but I can enroll her if gymnastic/dance/swimm/etc. for cheaper than preschool and she will still learn socialization skills.  I asked a friend who has her AA in Early Childhood education, and owns her own daycare/preschool what the advantages of preschool were.  All she told me was "preschool is so much more than knowing your letters, colors etc, and I have my AA in Early Childhoos Education"  But she could not tell me what she could do for my DD that I couldn't.  I just don't get it.  Can somebody please tell me why I should pay $400+ a month for something I can do with my DD?  I am not bashing preschool in anyways, I am just having a hard time understanding why it costs so freaking much I guess.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Kids birthday Ticker
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aidanlove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM
I think it helps with socializing, with getting them used to a classroom environment, getting them used to a school routine, building up their immune system(lol), and ofcourse learning. They learn more than the basics in preschool. I send my daughter to a private preschool and think it's well worth the money.

Emberbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Aside from the obvious educational and socialization skills that everyone always talks about I think preschool encourages independence and self-confidence. Having  worked in a preschool before I observed just how different children act, interact and deal with their day when they are away from mom and dad.

My daughter just started  a private language immersion school and goes twice a week. As far as I am concerned she is gaining a lot more than just academic lessons, she is getting to be on her own for a few hours a week and this is good practice for her.

starbeck96
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM

Yeah I know the feeling.  That's why I am preschooling my daughter.  We have a set time to sit down every day (right after breakfast) for about an hour.  Then we have a small snack.  Then we play.  Then if we didn't finish all of our pages then we go back and finish them (usually not much though).  Then we eat lunch.  Then the rest of the day we just do whatever. 

She seems to be doing very well.  Neither of my boys went to preschool and they do fine.  The only reason I may send her to preschool next year is bc I hopefully will have a job by then.  Preschool is cheaper than daycare here.  Then my family would keep her the rest of the day until I get home.

But if I'm not working by then, she will continue to stay at home.

My daughter  loves people so we try to get her around others as much as possible.  That's why we will start community sports in the Spring.

KandiceN
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:41 PM

*shrug* I couldn't figure it out either.  My DD already knows everything they teach in Kindergarten, plus we're in a moms club, and she's in dance, so she gets a ton of kid time, plus time away from me where she listens to an adult other than a parent.

I'm not paying $800 for her to go sit in a class room twice a week to learn what she already knows..

carinyosa99
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I don't get the point of preschool either.  I did fine without it myself and I had no problems adjusting to school.  I won't be able to afford preschool anyway.  And honestly, all the talk I hear from moms about which preschool their kid got into makes me almost sick. 

raegansmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:55 PM

We are starting our DD in pre-school next week.  Not for the academics but because she really wants to be around other kids.  She is an only & I feel the benefits for her to have the socialization & structure outweigh the cost (here it's only $80 per month.  5 hours per week). 

jnthrln
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:59 PM

My daughter is the same way and the only reason I'm going preschool with her is because I'm doing a co-op with some friends.  The only benefits I see my child getting (I am a professional teacher by the way) is the getting used to a routine in an educational setting.  But if you can't afford to do preschool don't even worry about it.  I never went to preschool nor did my siblings and we all turned out fine. :) 

MrsPilat
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:02 PM
I personally think its more for her to get used to being away. You do not have to spend 400 a month..that is outrageous! I am sending my dd 2 days a week for 2 hours. She's never been away from me, I don't want to blindsight her when she goes everyday.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreedMama3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM

It is to help them prepare to move on up in grades and prepare them to socialize more with other children and to basically get them ready for the outside world. My oldest is 5 and starts preschool next week along with my 3 1/2 year old. I enrolled them into preschool before they actually start their first year at kindergarden to get them ready to socialize more and learn more than just numbers, colors, abc's, and shapes. It helps them develop relationships with other children and helps them prepare themselves for a whole new environment!

kak27
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Quoting Aidanlove:

I think it helps with socializing, with getting them used to a classroom environment, getting them used to a school routine, building up their immune system(lol), and ofcourse learning. They learn more than the basics in preschool. I send my daughter to a private preschool and think it's well worth the money.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)