Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool...I'm just not sure.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

My DD is 3. She is supposed to be starting preschool next Tuesday. I am mainly putting her in preschool for socialization skills and also because she's just gotten to the point where she doesn't want to sit and learn with me anymore. Tonight I went to parent orientation at the school..all was fine until I stepped foot in her classroom. My anxiety completely took over, I seriously am reconsidering. I am not so sure about the teacher, who is not very spunky. She is a bit older and doesn't look too kid friendly. I am so nervous. I honestly don't know what to do, as right now she is my only child. I would hate to take her into school and her absolutely hate it. It is supposed to be something positive.

Do you think that 3 is too young? Also, just so you know, she will be going on Tues/Thurs for 2.5 hours. That is all.

If you have children this age do they attend preschool? Do you feel they've benefited from it?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:22 PM

Mama let me tell u that I was the same way as u. My DD started in July and she was 3 as well. she is going back Sept 8. I did see the classroom before and I did like it but never met the teachers. She has 2 and she is in school from 8:30 to 11:30. It did helped at lot we noticed she started talking clearer ounce she started. I cried the first 3 days I left her and did not want to leave school. But the teacher was very nice, she told me that she has kids of her own so she knows how it feels and that my DD was going to be taken care off. I know is a long process and 2 hours 2 days a week is not bad. Try it out at first and then if u still don't feel comfortable then take her out. I don't think 3 is too young to go to school, I think the faster they learn and socialize the better. Good luck

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM

No, I don't think it's too young. Our DD is 3 1/2 and she starts next Wednesday.  We just had her orientation on Sunday, and we love her teacher. I would give it a chance at least. Your opinion will likely change on her teacher once you get to know her better.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:08 PM

im the same way as u , Jimmy is my only child & i just wanted him to go to be around other kids besides us ...did the whole orientation thing , teacher was nice , but had a little bit of tough love   ( she'll comfort u,  but not baby u ) & im not gonna lie i was like naaa this is not gonna work , i cried for 5 days straight , but when Jimmy came home from pre-k on  the 2nd day he told us he wanted to spend the night with Ms.Bailey cause she was nice like mommy that made me feel so much better . he goes monday-friday from 8-2 ...& no 3 yrs. old is not to young , i wish i was able to take Jimmy at that age , but where i live u have to be 4 to start...but yea he loves it

by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM

3yr old is not too young for preschool.

2 days a week for 2.5 hours sounds perfect.  It should be a good way to help her adjust to a classroom setting, and being with other kids without being too overwhelming. 

My oldest started preschool before he turned 3yrs old because he was bored being home with mom (me) all the time and wanted to be with other kids.  He is now 4yrs old, starts back to preschool next week and is super excited.  (he goes 3 mornings a week) 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Let her go. You can always pull her out if it doesn't agree with her.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:37 PM
My son is three and started preschool when he was 2. He loves going. He goes 3 days a week on the days I work for about for about 6 hrs. He has learned so much and plays great with other kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:42 PM

I let my son go and I'm so glad I did! He knows how to spell his name and has made lots of friends!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM

My triplets are 3 and they are in preschool and love it.  They go full day not just half or 2.5 hours.  I think all kids benefit from the socialization, the learning etc

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:56 AM
Let her go. I started my son at 2 1/2 because he was an only child and would benefit from the socialization. As it turned out the school wasn't a great match for him (although I liked the teacher). I ended up moving him to the town program at 3. But he loved both schools and was totally unphased by all that happened. Just be careful to hide your anxiety or she will pick up on it. She will do just fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Be ok with it- Let her go- she will sense if YOUR anxious--- the teacher comes across to little ones maybe grandmotherly--- but really mom--- take some deep breaths, talk it up- and let her TRY. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)