Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any other suggestions for improving fine motor skills?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM
  • 12 Replies

Dd is 4 (as my other post says) LOL!  I need to get her to hold a pencil correctly, without pushing her I guess.  What can improve fine motor skills for a 4-year-old?  Giving her only crayon stubs to write with will help, snapping beads together will help (we're trying but she can't do it yet), and triangular crayons might help.  Any more suggestions?  Sorting pasta is sort of for younger kids.  There are many other suggestions for younger kids, like putting q-tips into a parmesan cheese container.  We did all of these when she was littler.  I'm looking for any new ideas that will help now that she is 4.  Maybe how she can strengthen those little finger muscles?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lesli17537
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:03 PM
Look for small toys and manipulatives like counting bears or small logos. Do sewing cards. Pick up small beans with tweezers. Snip with scissors, use a spoon to "fish" for cotton balls floating in a bowl of water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesli17537
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:04 PM
Dress barbies. Let her paint your mails.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lesli17537
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Sorry- nails

Quoting Lesli17537:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Manda1976
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Is it just skills or and strength?

Have her start large, tracing letters on the wall with a flashlight. Moving from the large motor to the fine motor is often helpful.  Sidewalk chalk, pencil grips.  Is she able to write letters or anything with an incorrect pencil grip?  It may be comfortable for her and as long as everything is neat (for a 4 year old) it may be ok.  The OTs I work with at school (I'm a special ed teacher) will often times overlook "correct" tripod grip if their handwriting is neat.

If you're looking for overall fine motor skills there are legos and those bristle blocks, string beads or is she can handle it pony beads and she can make gifts for people.  Getting large screws with wing nuts and regular nuts (you can includ a washer) and have her put them together.

Oriental trading company has "coloring pages" that are made up of dots, you need dabbers (like for bingo) to "color" it in.

I'll try to think of some more things. Good luck.

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
Manda1976
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:06 PM

Quoting Lesli17537:

Sorry- nails

Quoting Lesli17537:

If you buy the kids nail polish it peels right off like elmers glue. it's great, so if she paints your fingers together (like my daughter) it comes off easily.

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
Amy614
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM

Sorting little or thin things is still a great way to work fine motor skills; just consider other things that might work, like coins (which have the added benefit of encouraging counting and learning about money) or barrettes.  Lacing cards are great, and so are doll's clothing with buttons, zippers, or snaps.  learning to tie shoes will improve fine motor skills...  Cutting with scissors, turning pages in a book, stringing beads or buttons, mainpulating doll house furniture, Matchbox/HotWheels cars, play dough/clay, painting, doing your hair...  Pretty much anything that makes her use (mostly) just her fingers/hands to accomplish a task, especially things that involve using a pincer grasp.

mommy2028
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM

Thank you so much for the brainstorming ladies.  I've added lite-brite to the list, too.

mommy2028
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Quoting Manda1976:

Is it just skills or and strength?

Both

Have her start large, tracing letters on the wall with a flashlight.

That's great!

Is she able to write letters or anything with an incorrect pencil grip? 

She is very frustrated that I and the school are pushing her to write letters, she won't even try.

matofour
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM

also writing on an angle like a chalkboard, is great for strength.

Or painting, just have her hold the paintbrush like a pencil.

Also, truthfully many kids CAN write at 3, 4, 5 years old, BUT IT IS NOT ACTUALLY AN AGE APPROPRIATE SKILL!!!!!

Pushing writing letters and things like that are really not developmentally appropriate for kids that age.

yes, most schools push it.  But its NOT abnormal to not be able to do it.  Its very common for it to be hard to do!
So, don't push her! Play games, work on her strength, don't push letters with her, they will come.

I would not worry, and I would not push her for at least another year, or more.  I would let her naturally figure it out, she will.  She just might not be developmentally ready yet, and thats okay.

Just don't frustrate her, or make it a big deal, because then it will become a huge deal to her!

Good luck!  She will get it!! 

thebailiffs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM

I was in a Kindergarten today and there were three stations.  One was a wooden board with nails sticking  up and wrapping rubber bands around them to make stars.  Station #2 was playing with play dough with small cookie cutters.  The third station was cutting with scissors with paper and glue. 

All three stations help with fine motor. 

Another idea is chopsticks and picking up cotton balls.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)