Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son might have diabetes

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM
  • 11 Replies

My youngest son Aaron is 2 years old and on the 8th of September he has to go get tested for diabetes. His doctor thinks that he may have diabetes because all he wants to do is drink. I looked up on the Internet to find the signs of diabetes in children and he only has that he wants to drink all the time. If I let him he rather drink water or milk all day and dont want to eat. He also has very stinky breath for the past 6 months. A friend of mine said that was a sign of diabetes because her daughter had very stinky breath when she was diagnoised with diabetes. I am really scared because I dont want him to have diabetes. I really dont know how to put this but I was wondering if anybody has to deal with this???

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:45 PM

I'm sorry, I don't know about diabetes, but dd would much rather drink milk all day than eat.  We've cut back on her milk a lot, and it has helped with her eating a little bit.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:46 PM

I don't have anyone with diabetes.

One of my boys has low blood sugar.  Not as bad as diabetes but if not controlled will turn into diabetes. 

He can't have alot of sugar.  His is worse during the summer when he gets hot.  He has almost passed out on us  a couple of times.  We basically have to keep peanut butter crackers and a gatorade around all the time.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:54 PM

My oldest DS is a diabetic and has been since he was 6 (He's 10 now). He's been on insulin shots and now an insulin pump. It was difficult at first, but now its every day normal life. It can be difficult at times, but for the most part he's your typical child. We have to count the number of carbohydrates that he eats and his pump administers insulin based upon that amount of carbs.

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 9:16 AM
I have two diabetic sons. Your doctor needs to do a blood test and an A1c test. They should not have ignored those symptoms. If he does have it (which it sounds like he does), it's not the end of the world. Once you get their regimen down pat, it's pretty easy. And since he's so young, it'll be easy to control his diet. Good luck and call your doctor ASAP. If he is diabetic, having high blood sugars for long periods of time can damage his organs, plus he could go into a diabetic coma.
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:02 PM

I work with diabetic children and at first it may seem impossible to deal with but once you get educated you will find out that its not the end of the the world and he is young where he will do well vs if he would of been older.  Make sure they do all the blood workup including the A1C to determind if he indeed is a diabetic. Good luck

by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:15 PM

i hope that it's not and that you little boy is ok.

Good Luck!

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes right after my first birthday.  Although I am not a parent of a diabetic child, I understand what it is like to be on the other side.  I wish you and your son the best of luck on the 8th! 

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:49 PM

Hey, my son is believed to be in the very early stages of diabetes, or so  the doctor thinks. But the good news for us is so far his tests are negative (except he has had high blood glucose levels reaching 300). The best thing you can do is educate yourself and ask to be referred to a pediatrice endocrinologist. There are also some diabetic groups here that really helped me while my son went through all the testing. GL!

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:05 PM
I'm diabetc and I pray that your son does not have diabetes, by if he does it will be easy to manage because he is so young. I am actually going to ask that my oldest son, turning two on Friday, gets tested because he is showing signs as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)