Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decongestant?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM
  • 8 Replies

For several weeks now whenever my son (3 yr 29lb 37in) sneezes he screams and hold the back of his head for like 10-30 seconds. I was hoping it would have gone away by now but its still bothering him. My MIL recommended to give him a decongestant because its prob congested sinuses? Any advice? Which kind of decongestant have you used? Anyone ever experienced anything like this? Thanks

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LyTe684
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM

Has he seen a doctor about this?

sweetberrymommy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:26 AM

i would take him to his pediatrician and see what they recommend. 

chcon
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM

I would talk to his pediatrician or bring him in to have his throat checked out as well since it sounds pretty bad.  The pediatrician can recommend something as well, mine recommended children's dimetapp or children's zyrtec, but of course I think both of those are gone from shelves due to recall... maybe not the dimetapp I forget.

SinfulBliss
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:30 AM

I'd see the doctor for the screaming after a sneeze, but we use Hyland's here.

virgochild79
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:33 AM

Oh yea,,sounds like allergies. Take him to the Dr. just to make sure though. I use Little Noses if my kids are stuffy, but for the allergies they have children's Benedril and Zyrtec.

melindabelcher
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:39 AM

Thanks. I haven't taken him to the pedi yet. I'll mention the ?allergies. He had a full allergy testing done a year ago that was completely negative but he could have developed them since then. I called the office yesterday to ask about a decongestant and they recommended to call a pharmastist and ask. I have to go to the pharmacy later and i'll ask then but i wanted to find out what other moms had used.

LyTe684
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Well, for my son... he takes Claritin chewables. I haven't given him Zyrtec since the recall. IDK about where you live, but where I am.. the pharmacist will not help with that.. I'm surprised the doctors office even suggested that... kinda scary... GL!

http://www.claritin.com/claritin/products/ChildrensClaritinGrapeChewables.jspa

Quoting melindabelcher:

Thanks. I haven't taken him to the pedi yet. I'll mention the ?allergies. He had a full allergy testing done a year ago that was completely negative but he could have developed them since then. I called the office yesterday to ask about a decongestant and they recommended to call a pharmastist and ask. I have to go to the pharmacy later and i'll ask then but i wanted to find out what other moms had used.

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I would take him to the doctor before medicating him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)