• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you know when....

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM
  • 11 Replies

your toddler is ready to leave the crib and start sleeping in a toddler bed?

What signs did you get and how did you transition them?

toddler boyttc#2

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Erin.09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM
My oldest hated her crib! Hated!! She was out at 18 months.
My youngest started to climb out just before she turned 2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Erin.09
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:46 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
miracle2009
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM

what signs showed you that she hated it?

Quoting Erin.09:

haleyleedy
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:47 PM
17 months old still in her crib hopefully for a lonnnng time. Ds was out at 13 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SoLuckysAngel
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 2:54 PM

My son was switched to a toddler bed before I had originally planned. We moved when he was 17 months and the movers (military) broke the leg on his crib, so we just put him in a toddler bed.

As for the transition, it wasn't too bad. We just told him he was getting a big boy bed which he was pretty excited about. We closed off his room so he couldn't wander the upstairs or figure out the gates and tumble downstairs. For the first two weeks or so he would fall asleep on the floor or make a bed in the closet half the time. I hate to say it, but one morning I opened his bedroom door and thump. He had fallen asleep in front of the door. If we went to bed later then normal, we would just put him back in his bed.

After that we didn't have any issues. I just wouldn't let there be any other option except to go to sleep in the bed.

Lilypie Maternity tickers
Mrs.Strother
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I put Hannah in a big girl bed when she started climbing out of her crib

vampire2007
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 6:22 PM

i put my LO in a toddler bed when she broke the drop down rail of her crib. i dont remember how old she was

bhwrn1
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:06 PM

With my oldest, I just swtiched him at 2 y/o b/c that is what I thought you were supposed to do. We put the bed in the room and let him see it and then took the crib apart after he was used to it. With my middle guy we had to move him b/c I was pregnant.

A-TeamMom
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:36 PM

I tried moving my 19 m old twins because I was having more twins and needed the cribs for them.  It was a disaster.  We ended up borrowing a third crib for another 9 months and transitioned them at 28 months when they asked to have big girl beds.

i just transitioned the second set to big girl beds when we got our now-4-yr olds a bunk bed.  The little girls were 27 months.

BurntMom.10
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:40 PM

I moved mine when they started to climb out the cribs.

My first was about 13months or so. My second was about 19months or 17months corrected age (she was born 2 month premature). Currently my 20m old or 17months corrected age is still in her crib and I see her being it in for a long long long long long time. She barely comes to the top of the side rails on the lowest setting, she isn't even interested in climbing (she was born 3 months premature).

I used climbing as my cue, only because i didn't want to wake up to a big THUD of my poor kid hitting the hardwood floors..

We tried a toddler bed with the oldest one for about 2 months and realized that was 99% of her sleep issues, there wasn't room for her to move (shes a flopper like her father). So we purchased a Double with twin bunk, and its been smooth sailing since. The second we moved right from a crib to the double, and the 3rd we will do the same. They all have double/twin bunks for their rooms.

Good luck! It was the easier of transitions, binkie taking was harder LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)