Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hitting, kicking, pushing 3 year old.

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:59 PM
  • 3 Replies

Sorry.. I searched the old posts about this but didn't really find any that I was looking for.. so if there was a good one please point me in the right direction.

My 3 year old son has recently started hitting, kicking and pushing for no reason at all.  It started Sunday at church.  He just hauled off and hit a kid but no one really saw it so nothing was done (I was not there).  Then at preschool today he was using his hands quite a bit on other children.. hitting, pushing and kicking for no apparent reason.  They have him sit in a chair for a time out at preschool and that is what we do at home when he hits us or his 15 month old sister.

Is it just a phase?  We certainly don't hit, kick and push him at home.  I'm not sure where he is getting this and WHY he is doing it.  I'm going to stick with the time outs but any advice for other things I can do? I'm very upset about this.  We've had talks but he doesn't really understand the word "why" so I don't get anywhere when I ask him that..  *sigh*

Thanks for any and all advice.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:28 AM

That's not really unusual behavior . . . dare I say it? . . . for a boy.  Just remind him each time, "No hitting.  Hitting hurts."  And then give him a consequence like time-out.

Try to react without anger.  Just matter-of-fact. 

He's expressing himself the easiest and most directly way he knows how, which is with his body. 

Good luck!

QU33NB33_213
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 1:36 AM

my son went thru the same thing. i tried to ask him "why" as well but he didnt understand so i asked him "how come" instead. it workd most of the time. he told me he was mad but doesnt know "how come."  a lil extra attention doesnt hurt. i think thats why my son did it. the only attention i was giving him was negative so wen i realized it i switched it up. he hasnt hit anyone in a long time

lwendl
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM

try getting the books: "hands are not for hitting", "feet are not for kicking" ,"teeth are not for biting"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)