Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am not your babysitter!

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM
  • 4 Replies
We live in a 4 apartment building (2 on top 2 on bottom) and we got new neighbors about a month ago who are really nice and they have 3 kids, a 3 month old, a little girl who is about 2 and another who is 4 or 5. It is kinda nice to have kids he can play with so close by but at the same time I always end up being the dang babysitter for all of them. We share a little fenced in backyard area so they can run back and forth but DH and I don't want our son going in their house and playing because we don't know them very well and we just aren't comfortable with that. So anyway, the little girls come to our back porch want to play which is fine and I don't care if they want to come inside and play in his room but pretty soon he is outside playing and they are coming in and out of the house freely and are not playing together. And I have a 10 month old who they are always hanging all over. We leave the sloding glass door open so I can hear him play and check in on him but we have the screen door.we keep closed so Amelia doesn't get out and when they come and go they always leave it open. I know they are just kids but I don't want to have to chase after my Amelia because they leave the door open. Ot is just frustrating because the older girl is a know it all so when I tell her he needs to come inside to take a bath, she argues with me. And the parents don't even come over to check on them, even when they are not outside playing. So because I don't want my son inside a house I don't know, I get stuck being the baby sitter to all of them. Plus the older girl is one of those kids who just talks constantly whoch drives me crazy. Not that it is a bad thing she talks a lot but the constant chatter on top of everything else just makes me annoyed. But I want my son to have friends to play with and he loves playing with them so what can I do about it? Nothing. Don't get me wrong I know they are just being kids but it just irritates me that I am the one who watches everyone. You know if the parents came over and made sure it was okay or even checked on them it wouldn't be a big deal but their kids just come over whenever and how am I supposed to tell my son he can't play because I don't want to watch their kids? I can't do that. Sorry I just needed to vent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TheBabyFactory4
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:24 PM

Maybe you can suggest a certain time that the other kids can come over and play. Set some boundaries on when the girl comes over. Talk to the parents and say "look, I really like having her over and having someone for my ds to play with but there are certain times i just want family time." or make up another excuse. That way nobody gets hurt but you get your space too when you need it.

NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2010 at 3:30 AM

im sorryThat sounds like a really frustrating situation. 

sophiesmom07
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:29 PM

I would be frustrated too.  I agree with the first poster, set some boundaries, maybe a certain block of time for play.  This way, you won't get frustrated and they won't overstay their welcome.  Then you can say something like, It's time for me to make dinner, see you guys tomorrow.  Good luck!

nf1
by on Sep. 29, 2010 at 6:32 PM

i`m so sorry

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)