Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

for those with beyond picky eaters....

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM
  • 34 Replies
How do I get my DS to try new things and what do I supplement with? I feel like the worst mom ever! :-( My 3YO will not eat or try ANY fruit or vegetables. The only thing he ever wants to eat is corndogs, fish sticks, or mac and cheese. I am so worried about long term affects. So far Dr said he is healthy, but I stress out so much about his health. He used to LOVe fruits and veggies until he was almost 2. He also just recently stopped wanting to drink milk. I give him a flinstone's vitamin, but does anyone have other suggestions? Please no bashing, I already feel like an awful parent. :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Silver Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM
2 moms liked this

i am going to be honest with you--I hate when women say--blah blah will only eat blah blah.  You are his Mother, you make his meals, he will not starve himself, so instead of giving him that unhealthy selection, you give him something else period or make him healthier versions of those.

Mac-n-chz--use whole wheat pasta, add the pureed veggies, even add a mixed veggies directly into it (I would try the pureed ones first). 

Does he drink juice at least?  Try the V8 splashers that have the veg and fruit.

Whatever you eat, make healthier versions--instead of fish sticks, try grilled salmon steaks, instead of corn dogs, turkey dogs wrapped in crescent rolls or wholehwheat tortillas.  Like I said, he will not starve, you sit it in front of him and leave that as his only option, his stomach will growl soon and he WILL try it.  You can also add pureed veggies in spaghetti sauce as well.  meatloaf with pureed veggies, pureed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.

Take a pediasure (like a meal replacement shake for kids), blend it with ice and tell him it is a milkshake.  Go back to Poly-visol liquid vitamins and add a dose into whatever he is drinking or eating.

You have the control NOT your 3 yr old.  They will NOT starve themselves.

sadeyez11
by Member on Nov. 18, 2010 at 1:33 AM
Thank you for these ideas, my 6yr old will go to bed without eating if she sees any trace of veggies that are not corn, carrots or potatoes. this will help us alot.

Quoting MixedCooke:

i am going to be honest with you--I hate when women say--blah blah will only eat blah blah.  You are his Mother, you make his meals, he will not starve himself, so instead of giving him that unhealthy selection, you give him something else period or make him healthier versions of those.

Mac-n-chz--use whole wheat pasta, add the pureed veggies, even add a mixed veggies directly into it (I would try the pureed ones first). 

Does he drink juice at least?  Try the V8 splashers that have the veg and fruit.

Whatever you eat, make healthier versions--instead of fish sticks, try grilled salmon steaks, instead of corn dogs, turkey dogs wrapped in crescent rolls or wholehwheat tortillas.  Like I said, he will not starve, you sit it in front of him and leave that as his only option, his stomach will growl soon and he WILL try it.  You can also add pureed veggies in spaghetti sauce as well.  meatloaf with pureed veggies, pureed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.

Take a pediasure (like a meal replacement shake for kids), blend it with ice and tell him it is a milkshake.  Go back to Poly-visol liquid vitamins and add a dose into whatever he is drinking or eating.

You have the control NOT your 3 yr old.  They will NOT starve themselves.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 5:24 AM

Don't feel badly. My oldest did not eat veggies until this year (he's almost 7)! I fed him jarred baby food veggies until he was 3 b/c he wouldn't eat them. I just kept putting them on his plate over and over again. Mixing them with ketchup, cheese, anything to try and make them "tastier". I told my doc and he said not to worry. That he was growing and healthy and taking a multivitamin and that he would be fine.

Have you tried pureeing into things? Cauliflower in mashed potatos, apple sauce in muffins?

Also, my doc said you can give them calcium in other forms like yogurt, cheese and that is fine. I have to mix chocolate into the milk to get my 4 y/o to drink it. That was the docs suggestion!

anna_mccall
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Well my son will go all day without eating if it is not chicken nuggets, hot dogs or pizza. He is Autistic and WILL NOT eat any thing else. If I force feed him anything else he will throw it up. If his food is touching or mixed he will not eat. I've tried making him sit there until he eats, saving his plate and when he tells me he's hungry try again and he still refuses. He will gag and throw up on vitamins, gummy or flinstone. He does like milk. He throws up pediasure, even the chocolate. He won't eat ice cream so the milkshake thing wouldn't work. His dr is not concerned because his weight is ok. He is 4 and weighs 36 pounds. Yes I am the parent and I can control him I guess by shoving it down him, but for what? To have him throw it back up?

crystap
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM

Welcome to the club of picky eaters,lol.Mine eats pizza and chicken nuggets, he will eat yogurt and manderine oranges tho.He threw up at the taste of 1 corn kernal.I can't get him to eat much either.He is healthy but I worry also.He stopped drinking milk when he stopped taking the bottle to.Have you tried Pediasure or anything like that?I haven't.Mine takes gummy vitamins.

MomB79
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 11:37 AM
Thank you SO much letting me know I'm not alone and making me feel there's hope. :-) he does love chocolate milk and cheese so I guess I shouldn't worry about the calcium. I will just keep trying to introduce stuff. I've tried giving him veggies and fruit with dips but of course he just licks off the dip. Lol. But I'll keep trying. Thanks again. :-)

Quoting bhwrn1:

Don't feel badly. My oldest did not eat veggies until this year (he's almost 7)! I fed him jarred baby food veggies until he was 3 b/c he wouldn't eat them. I just kept putting them on his plate over and over again. Mixing them with ketchup, cheese, anything to try and make them "tastier". I told my doc and he said not to worry. That he was growing and healthy and taking a multivitamin and that he would be fine.

Have you tried pureeing into things? Cauliflower in mashed potatos, apple sauce in muffins?

Also, my doc said you can give them calcium in other forms like yogurt, cheese and that is fine. I have to mix chocolate into the milk to get my 4 y/o to drink it. That was the docs suggestion!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomB79
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 11:48 AM
You would think they'd get bored wouldn't you? Lol. I did try pediasure a while back but he didn't seem fond of them. It's definitely worth another try. Thank you. :-)

Quoting crystap:

Welcome to the club of picky eaters,lol.Mine eats pizza and chicken nuggets, he will eat yogurt and manderine oranges tho.He threw up at the taste of 1 corn kernal.I can't get him to eat much either.He is healthy but I worry also.He stopped drinking milk when he stopped taking the bottle to.Have you tried Pediasure or anything like that?I haven't.Mine takes gummy vitamins.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monshine2
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM

I was and still am the beyond picky eater... My doctor always told my mom as long as I ate plenty of what was good for me I'd be OK & I am but as an adult I'm fighting this internal battle with knowing what I should be eating but my mind is also screaming YUK! LOL  Just keep offering him the healthy stuff vs the not so healthy stuff. No child will let themselves starve so if its all they have to eat they will eat it eventually

MomB79
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 11:59 AM
Exactly how I feel! I could force him, but that seems like it would make things worse. That's why I was looking for sympathetic advice versus a scolding. My son also has a very sensitive gag reflex. He throws up if he coughs more than 2 times in a row and he can make himself throw up, unfortunately. Thank you for sharing with me. :-)

Quoting anna_mccall:

Well my son will go all day without eating if it is not chicken nuggets, hot dogs or pizza. He is Autistic and WILL NOT eat any thing else. If I force feed him anything else he will throw it up. If his food is touching or mixed he will not eat. I've tried making him sit there until he eats, saving his plate and when he tells me he's hungry try again and he still refuses. He will gag and throw up on vitamins, gummy or flinstone. He does like milk. He throws up pediasure, even the chocolate. He won't eat ice cream so the milkshake thing wouldn't work. His dr is not concerned because his weight is ok. He is 4 and weighs 36 pounds. Yes I am the parent and I can control him I guess by shoving it down him, but for what? To have him throw it back up?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Nov. 18, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Glad to help :)

Quoting MomB79:

Thank you SO much letting me know I'm not alone and making me feel there's hope. :-) he does love chocolate milk and cheese so I guess I shouldn't worry about the calcium. I will just keep trying to introduce stuff. I've tried giving him veggies and fruit with dips but of course he just licks off the dip. Lol. But I'll keep trying. Thanks again. :-)

Quoting bhwrn1:

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)