Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

22 month old.. smart?? PIOG

Posted by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM
  • 22 Replies

I just want to know if this is normal or extraordinary??? My son can count to 10 on his own and knows all his colors like pink, blue, green, red, yellow, and orange... I'm constantly talking to him and we count together and color together as well... I'm working on his ABC's now too... oh he also knows his body parts... Hair, eyes, ears, nose, mouth, neck, arms, elbow, hand, fingers, belly, butt (lol), leg, knee, feet, and toes!!  wow writing that all out is alot!! lol!! I breastfed him too!!! I don't mean to sound like I'm bragging... I'm just curios and excited!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
butterflyfreak
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 1:58 AM

It's a good thing to be excited. LOL My daughter is not quite 3 and a half yet and doesn't know all the colors yet. She is slightly delayed in some areas because of her hearing loss. But we are starting her in the special ed preschool so she can have help with speech therapy and her language development and the cognitive delays. She is a very happy little girl, very social and displays a lot of empathy. So every child is different and I think it's great that you are so excited about what yours can do. 

YoungMommy182
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Every child is diff. My daughter knew all that when she was 18 months. Some children that age can't even talk.

KZ_MoMmA
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 2:03 AM

my 21 month old knows 1 thru 10, he sings his abc's and knows a few colors. he sings rock a bye baby. i sing head shoulders knees and toes to him and he points to those areas. he has known the body parts for a while know tho.

so i guess our sons are geniuses lol

k.stark
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 3:22 AM

Thanks!! It seems like you work with your DD... She obviously has reasons for being delayed... hearing is a BIG thing!! if you have problems with hearing I can only imagine that it affects SO many parts of her life!! She sounds happy, and in the end thats all that matters.. as long as you're encouraging your child and they are happy.. nothing else should matter.

Quoting butterflyfreak:

It's a good thing to be excited. LOL My daughter is not quite 3 and a half yet and doesn't know all the colors yet. She is slightly delayed in some areas because of her hearing loss. But we are starting her in the special ed preschool so she can have help with speech therapy and her language development and the cognitive delays. She is a very happy little girl, very social and displays a lot of empathy. So every child is different and I think it's great that you are so excited about what yours can do. 

k.stark
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 3:27 AM

yea!! I hadn't thought about singing head shoulders knees and toes to him until today actually.... lol!! But we started that and he caught on right quick!!! I know kids 6-9 months younger than him who don't speak hardly at all.. still on a bottle and don't do anything like this! Oh! also!! My son has been drinking out of a cup for a couple months now!! My next thing I need to REALLY teach him is to use the potty... this task seems pretty daunting to me! lol

Quoting KZ_MoMmA:

my 21 month old knows 1 thru 10, he sings his abc's and knows a few colors. he sings rock a bye baby. i sing head shoulders knees and toes to him and he points to those areas. he has known the body parts for a while know tho.

so i guess our sons are geniuses lol

bhwrn1
by Brooke on Nov. 30, 2010 at 5:45 AM

My 17 month old can tell you body parts: head, eye, ear, mouth, nose, feet, belly button, hands. So not sure about that. But being able to count and know colors is awesome! My oldest was like this and he is in 2nd grade now (a year ahead of himself) and at a 5-6 grade reading level.

Keep up the good work! Smarty on your hands! Woot!

foistela
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:07 PM

My 24 month old has been the same way. He loves to learn. He will say the color wrong on purpose and laugh and say "I so silly!" lol! Crazy kid!

clovismommy25
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Yes it is normal. I was doing ALOT more than that at that age and my mom thought I was super smart. Had my evaluated, nope I was normal! lol. He is smart! Don't get me wrong, but still normal!

chcon
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Good job, keep it up!  :)

My oldest (girl) knew those things at about 18 months... plus her letters and numbers... but my boys were over 2 when they would talk, so I wasn't sure they knew some of that until then.  :)

ecagle
by on Nov. 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM

My son was the same way...he was very verbal and was really interested in shapes/ABCs/numbers etc....he spontaneously started speaking in sentences in both Spanish and English at a year and by 2 years...had most of that stuff down. 

NOW...he also has Asperger's so while he's extraordinary ADVANCED in many things (everyone is always commenting on how smart he is)...he's developmentally behind in others (and I could enumerate those as well)

I'm not saying your child also has autism...just saying that every child advances for what is normal for them...some children start speaking/learning things later but catch up quickly.  Some are advanced in some areas and behind in others.

Just focus on your child and don't worry about where other children are at ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)