Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Potty Training 101 - Share your best tips!

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM
  • 754 Replies
54 moms liked this

This post is the place for us to give advice to Moms who are potty training or getting ready to potty train.

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1.       Don't push it if they aren't ready.

2.       Commit 100 percent .

3.       Be consistent.

4.       Don't use pull ups during the day.

5.       Find a reward system and stick to it (praise, stickers, M & Ms, etc).

6.       Be patient. 
fingers crossed

For more help:

Please share your best potty training tips!  

by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ellasophia
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM
77 moms liked this
Commit 100 percent.don't bother with pullups- they're just another form of diapers. Take your child every 30 minutes until they can start reognizing the feeling of needing to go.then move to 45 then an hour, then ask them when they need to go. I potty trained my 23 month old in 9 days using this method.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GiasMom1970
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM
43 moms liked this

I was having a hard time training my 2 year old daughter to go potty.  So one day I decided to just leave her all day around the house in panties as opposed to pull ups.  Every hour I would ask her if she had to go.  That got her more comfortable with the idea.  I didn't use a potty chair. I used the seat that goes on top of the regular toilet with a step stool. That way she can get used to the "real" toilet, not to mention it avoided having to clean a potty chair.  Sure, there were accidents at first (don't make a big deal about them) but since she hated the feeling of going in her panties, it worked!! Took about a week.  She is now fully potty trained.  No more diapers! Yay!

TruthSeeker.
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM
12 moms liked this

Invest in a Portable DVD player!

Take your child to the potty every 45 minutes and put them in underwear or panties.  Let them watch their favorite show or movie for 10 min or so while they are pottying.

Reward with stickers or treats for peeing or pooping.

JillAnne82
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM
24 moms liked this

BE CONSISTENT!!! Reward them with what they are into at the time. My son was 28 months old and potty trained in 4 days. He was into putting money into his piggy bank so we did a penny for a potty.  He loved it and it was the cheapest way to do it. We tried candy, stickers even a grab bag full of small toys that he got to pick from every time he went the only thing that worked was a penny for a potty.

mom2cindylouwho
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 12:43 PM
21 moms liked this
If they have issues with going poo, and tend to hide when going poo (either when in diapers or while training), try putting the potty in their hiding place. Worked magic for us!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2-point-doe
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2010 at 4:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Buy the potty chair early and put it in the bathroom so they are comfortable with it. We got ours for dd's 1st birthday. As previous posters said, use underwear and not pullups. We were potty trained by DD's second birthday.

ecagle
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:25 PM
5 moms liked this

~Don't push it if they aren't displaying readiness signs.  It will just be stressful for both of you.

~Pull-ups are a waste of money...go straight to underwear and just take them to the bathroom more often.

~Use rewards (stickers, M&Ms etc) instead of discipline.

Mom2jngnc
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 6:36 PM
2 moms liked this

~don't force teh issue, and I don't agree with the "readiness" signs 100%.

~ find an "end goal" reward. in my house it has been backpacks, as we need to carry diapers in a diaper bag. I had one trained at 4 yrs 1 month, 2 before 3 yrs and my youngest just trained 3 weeks after he turned 3.

~ no pull-ups! Underware or diapers

bhwrn1
by on Dec. 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM
3 moms liked this

Don't push them if they are not ready. Try, if it doesn't work, back off for a bit and try again. If you push, it will take longer and be harder on you both.

bhwrn1
by on Dec. 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM

ITA with this. Except at night. They are a waste during the day. I used them with my first and he took forever. I only used them at night with my middle and he was trained in no time.

Quoting mom2ellasophia:

Commit 100 percent.don't bother with pullups- they're just another form of diapers. Take your child every 30 minutes until they can start reognizing the feeling of needing to go.then move to 45 then an hour, then ask them when they need to go. I potty trained my 23 month old in 9 days using this method.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN