Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Preschool Question

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM
  • 12 Replies

I asked if I could observe my son in preschool, mostly because he still seems to have anxiety over going, but also because I think it would be nice to see him in that setting.  I was told I should "wait til after the holidays".  Isn't that strange?  The school doesn't communicate well to begin with and I don't understand why I should have to wait a month to look through the window of his classroom door and see him in class.  My husband and I are thinking of taking him out.   What do you think? 

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momojcbc
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I would tell them that you think this is an urgent matter and then ask" what day would be best Friday? or Monday??"  It is not like the week of christmas..I would try and push to get in sooner..but if you are not happy you may want to start looking around anyway. Goodluck!

mom2cindylouwho
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:09 AM

I understand they may be busy with holiday projects/activities, but I'm with you and DH.  If a preschool doesn't have an open-door policy, then I'd be suspicious.  Our DD's prek encourages parents to stop by and observe every once in awhile.  Have you talked to the supervisor/principal?

ddhb2007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:10 AM

To me that would be a red flag.  Our preschool has an open door policy.  I can swing by anytime.  If I want to have a formal meeting with the teacher, I have to make an appointment, but that's to make sure someone else is covering the class, so she can talk.

TruthSeeker.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:49 AM

Any school or pre-school that doesn't encourage you to drop by would raise a red flag immediately.  You should be able to drop by to "observe" or watch from the door at Any time.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM
I would be concerned if they weren't open about you visiting or sitting in at any time, or date. Before taking him out, I would ask a supervisor whats up. If they can't give me a straight answer, I would be looking into other schools.
mommapeanut
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM

fIND A DIFFERENT ONE.  THAT'S A BUNCH OF CRAP.  IN THAT CASE, I WOULD JUST STOP IN - UNANNOUNCED - TO OBSERVE ...SO THEY DONT HAVE TIME TO PLAN FOR IT/PROMT THE TEACHER ABOUT BEING WATCHED. MY DD IS IN PRESCHOOL AT HER DAYCARE AND WE CAN COME AND GO AS WE PLEASE --- IN EVERY ROOM SHE'S BEEN IN I'VE RUN OVER ON MY LUNCH 'JUST TO SEE HOW THINGS ARE GOING' AND SEE HER SWEET FACE (SINCE MOST OF THE TIME IT'S NAP TIME. LOL)   POOR COMMUNICATION AT SCHOOL ALSO IS not SOMETHING YOU WANT.    (SORRY FOR THE CAPS - FORGOT THEY WERE ON, BUT TOO 'BUSY' AT WORK TO GO BACK AND RETYPE! LOL)

SERIOUSLY RED FLAG. STOP BY TODAY OR TOMORROW UNANNOUNCED. AND CHANGE SCHOOLS IF YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.

TruthSeeker.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I would and have done this also. I pulled my son out the next day after what I observed.  If a school is less than forthcoming about parent observation they ARE hiding something. And my son's school was a Developmental Pre-school for special needs children.  They were not changing diapers, properly documenting food and drink intake, pulling children(3 and 4 yr olds) around by their arms, and were treating my son like a number and a time slot for therapy. He was running and crying when the therapist said "ok time for therapy". My son has been in Therapy since he was 18 months and has never cried or ran from a therapist.

Quoting mommapeanut:

fIND A DIFFERENT ONE.  THAT'S A BUNCH OF CRAP.  IN THAT CASE, I WOULD JUST STOP IN - UNANNOUNCED - TO OBSERVE ...SO THEY DONT HAVE TIME TO PLAN FOR IT/PROMT THE TEACHER ABOUT BEING WATCHED. MY DD IS IN PRESCHOOL AT HER DAYCARE AND WE CAN COME AND GO AS WE PLEASE --- IN EVERY ROOM SHE'S BEEN IN I'VE RUN OVER ON MY LUNCH 'JUST TO SEE HOW THINGS ARE GOING' AND SEE HER SWEET FACE (SINCE MOST OF THE TIME IT'S NAP TIME. LOL)   POOR COMMUNICATION AT SCHOOL ALSO IS not SOMETHING YOU WANT.    (SORRY FOR THE CAPS - FORGOT THEY WERE ON, BUT TOO 'BUSY' AT WORK TO GO BACK AND RETYPE! LOL)

SERIOUSLY RED FLAG. STOP BY TODAY OR TOMORROW UNANNOUNCED. AND CHANGE SCHOOLS IF YOU THINK YOU SHOULD.

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

mommy11260
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Honestly, I worked as a preschool teacher for a couple of years, and this is insane.  We always had an open door policy, anytime a parent wanted to observe they were welcome in our classroom/center.  Also, when a parent wanted to meet with me, I would always encourage them to come and meet with me at Nap time or when the children were on the playground.  The meetings were more informal, but it gave them a chance to see their kids, and us a chance to review their progress!

number1mommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Maybe because their daily routine is different. I know my son's preschool is doing alot different things than he normally does. The usually do a letter of the alphabet and this month they are doing songs for his Christmas program, making Christmas gifts,etc.

corrinacs
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM

Hey,

That is really odd.  I can understand why they wouldn't want you to come in and interact with the children for a while, because it can elevate seperation anxiety (I can't come to Caden's school early for any reason, because he immediately wants to go home LOL).

You should, though, be able to sneak a look at him in the window.  I would definitely speak to the director about what you are going through, especially with teh lack of communication.  My school had that problem when I started, but I talked to the director and said I really needed that (He has food allergies, so I need to know EVERYTHING he ate, etc).  

Good luck, and I hope it turns out well for you :).  I love his preschool now (after the talks) if that helps you feel better :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)