Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rude moms?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM
  • 44 Replies

So what is it with some moms?

I was dropping my daughter off at pre-school and I said good morning to one of the moms (as I do EVERY morning to all the parents as I pass them by). And this same woman just gives me this look like she never wants to be bothered...all the time! I don't get. 

Is it so wrong that I say good morning? I mean what did I do wrong? And it's not just her...there have other parents that are like that too. Not even an acknowledgement that I said something. As if I don't exist. Now I know I am probably the youngest parent in the school from what I've seen (and not married). But that doesn't mean they have to look down at me like I'm some child. It just irks me.  

It happened big time when my daughter was invited for a birthday party. I ended up alone the whole time because the other moms grouped together and pretty much forced my out of the conversations as if I don't belong. (and in this case I WAS the youngest one there...I'm 27). 

I'm just so frustrated! Why does it have to be like this? 

frustrated

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsfitz05
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:23 AM

this is why I don't have a ton of friends...some women still think its highschool!

traptinadream
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:27 AM

Ugh, I still get the "Omg look at the younging" look because I'm 22, but if I don't make my self up (like make up, a nice outfit, etc. and sometimes even when I do!) I still look like I'm 15 to a lot of people (seriously, I've people think I was 13!) I don't get it but its very frustrating! I have 3 toddlers so I know how rude people can be! The sad part is when they look at me like I'm some baby with babies and yet my kids are behaving better than theres (that I love!).

But really good morning? I just don't get how someone can be rude over that! Some people...jeez

Ariahsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Exactly!!! I that's what they see when they look at me but then their kid is throwing tantrums and not listening and my kid is looking at them like "what's wrong with you". I feel proud when that happens but still..a little recognition is all I am asking for! lol 

Quoting traptinadream:

Ugh, I still get the "Omg look at the younging" look because I'm 22, but if I don't make my self up (like make up, a nice outfit, etc. and sometimes even when I do!) I still look like I'm 15 to a lot of people (seriously, I've people think I was 13!) I don't get it but its very frustrating! I have 3 toddlers so I know how rude people can be! The sad part is when they look at me like I'm some baby with babies and yet my kids are behaving better than theres (that I love!).

But really good morning? I just don't get how someone can be rude over that! Some people...jeez

TruthSeeker.
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

Wow.  I've not encountered any moms like that at dd's school.

Ariahsmom
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I agree. I don't have many mom friends either for this same reason! 

Quoting mrsfitz05:

this is why I don't have a ton of friends...some women still think its highschool!

Angie211
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:37 AM

I tried to talk to some of the moms at my son's school Halloween party.  They pretty much ignored me.  I think the moms at the private school my son attended were nicer than at the public school we are in now. 

goorob
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:48 AM

Maybe they aren't morning people?  The one's at the daycare anyway.  

I don't know, some of the mom's at ds's kindy are cliquy and I hate that.  I don't bother with them.  I do notice that I tend to be friends with the mom's that are around my age, it's not that I don't talk to the other mom's just that the one's who I tend to get together with outside of school activities tend to be around my age more (I'm 33)it's just how it ends up for some reason, I don't even ask their age until after we've been getting together a few times and I've actually been shocked to find out they are as close to my age as they are...I do have friends from other areas of my life, like when I was working who are mom's in their 20's and we're really good friends.

And for what it's worth, I always have the feeling that the younger moms are looking at me like I'm the old lady with young kids, even though I'm only 33...a lot of the mom's in my kid's class look like they are in their early to mid 20's so I feel like the old mom in the room...so I feel like the fish out of water.  I'll be 35 when my youngest starts kindy surprise mini

number1mommy
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM

My son's teacher make me feel like I'm not in the "in crowd" its kinda aggrivating lol..

Jojo907
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I'm so sorry you are being treated poorly. It is totally their loss for not taking the time to get to know you. :)

People do make assumptions based on how people look. When I was pregnant with my 2nd child (I was 29) and too swollen to wear my wedding ring, I wore it on a chain around my neck, but I honestly had a man make a rude comment about unwed teenage mothers. I coldly informed him that I was married-showed him the ring-and told him my age. He totally didn't believe me, but I laughed about it later. Wish I looked so young now! (now I am almost 42)

NewJoyOn1308
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 11:38 AM

She'll get what's coming to her.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)