Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

swimming lessons?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM
  • 13 Replies

Hi Im new to this group. I have a 4 yr old and would really like for him to learn how to swim. Im putting him in his first swimming class in 2 weeks. Just wondering how long does it usually take someone that age to learn how to swim?

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momojcbc
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Thats awesome! I think it really depends on the kid. I would expect to put him through more then a few sets of lessons before they are off and swimming. Good luck! Its so fun to watch them learn.

JLmom28
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Thanks.

Crazy_Daze
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:50 PM

It really depends on the kid and how much exposure to water they've had. My oldest is almost 4 and went to swimming lessons this past summer and did okay. He has to repeat level one because he didn't do so well with putting his head in water or floating on his back. My youngest went to lessons as well and he was about 8 months old at that time. He did very well and had no problems going under water and kicking around in the water. I wish I would have put my oldest in the pool earlier, but I'm sure he'll get used to it eventually. Just be positive and don't force him to do it if he's afraid.

zolanmel
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM

good idea!! i want to do something like that with my two.

bhwrn1
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM

It depends on the child. My oldest started classes at 2 1/2 and was swimming on his own by 4. My middle didn't take any classes and learned over this past summer in camp at 3 1/2.

alyssasmom11007
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 10:30 PM

My dd will be 4 in Jan and has been through 4 sets of classes..2 inside and 2 outside.  She still can't float on her back and won't put her head under water. 

AlexDakotasMom
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 5:23 AM

My boys were 5 when i put them in but it only took them about 3 lessons to get the hang of the nose and the tredding.  I also took them swimming 2-3 times during the week other then there lessons.  Good luck and I know they will have a blast learning!!!wreath

corrinacs
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 10:15 AM

Hey,

They learn pretty quickly.  I would say he would have all of the basic understanding of swimming by the time he gets out of that class.  They will teach him how to hold his breath underwater, and paddle his feet and use his arms as well.  I know many of them still resort to doggie paddling, but they, they have to start from somewhere :)

ecagle
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:28 PM

It depends on the child.  My youngest is starting swimming lessons without mommy in January as well!!!

sophiesmom07
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Good luck! I am hoping to put my dd (3) in swimming classes this summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)