Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: The kindness of strangers (piog)

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM
  • 14 Replies

I shall preface this by saying I live in TX. Now it does get cold in this part of TX (despite popular belief of otherwise), however it doesn't typcally get this cold. Right now it's -9F with a wind chill of -27F.

After work, I went to Walmart because I wanted to buy boots, long-johns and warmer gloves, because they were predicting a nasty snow storm for tonight. Found boots for my son, but none for me, go figure. Anyway, I finished up my shopping after a couple of hours (yeah, impending snow storm and I still take forever) and go out to my car after paying. I got the trunk open, just fine and got the car loaded. But when it came to opening the door, I couldn't press the button on my remote because my hands were so numb from the cold. I even tried taking my glove off to do it and I still couldn't. At one point, my glove even blew away (thankfully I caught it). I went back inside to wait and try to warm up a little bit before attempting again.

By this point I was in near tears and sat on a bench. At this point, two women saw me and came up to me and asked what was wrong. I explained that I was too cold to open my car door. They offered to drive me to my car (their family was pulled up to the front of the store in their SUV). They did so and helped me unlock my door.

I'm really grateful to them for their help. Can't say I run into many people like that. :)

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmama1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:20 AM
Aw great story!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmama1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:21 AM
Someone i don't even know gave us 8 HUGE bins of baby clothes for our twins on the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmama1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:24 AM
One time the hubs and i broke down on our way home from vegas and a man who owned a convenient store nearby towed us to his shop FOR FREE and let my husband use his tools and garage to fix the car!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dusky_rose
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:28 AM

Thats great that someone was there to help you! I can't imagine it being that cold. I live in the west coast where the climate is milder.

COWGIRLinPEARLs
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM
there are still a few undercover angels out there! i live in tx also and it is just now starting to get cold in my neck of the woods, the wind really picked up. My car had a minor meltdown this summer, it quit on me at a redlight and some guys helped push it out of the way and a lady allowed me and the kids to sit in her air conditioner until my dad could come tow my car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM

Great story!

mommy11260
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:45 AM

I am glad to hear there are still some people like that around!  You don't bump into them very often, but when you do it makes a world of difference!

My moment yesterday was when I got to work.  Cold here too (but not that cold), I made it up to my office.  Heard a knock, it was one of the guys from the factory that I work in the office in.  He stopped working when he seen I was there to tell me if I had to go into the plant to avoid one particular staircase, they were working on getting the ice off of it.  He said he knew I was expecting (I am 22 weeks) and did not want me to slip.

Momof4kids9621
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:56 AM
I wish I had a story, but I don't ppl nowadays are just so self obsorbed that they don't see that you need help, I was on the side of the road with my suburbans hood up 2weeks ago and out of the like 15 cars that went by not even one stopped. Luckily I had survis ( we were on a country road).On another note I'm always lending a hand, I helped a woman put her baby in one of those chest holder things, the poor woman had no clue how to even put it on lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ikesmommy200
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:00 AM
Oh I posted this last week in 20somethings. We got the most snow we have ever seen in most people around here's lives. We had about 15 inches, whcih I have seen a few times as a kid growing up in chicago, but now I live in southern MO, and most roads are not paved, mine included. The road graters were out, but only cleared 1 1/2 cars wide on the road. I met another car, going around a corner none the less and ended up ditching my car. I was getting my son out so we could walk to a friend's house who lived a little bit up the road because I had no phone signal, when the county sherrif drove up. He was not on duty and was obviously busy himself. He was hauling hay on his tractor to his son's house he wrapped a chain around my car and pulled me out. I made it up the road about 1/2 mile and there was a truck in the ditch, and he was pulling them out too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 8:16 AM

This brought tears to my eyes!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)