Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He HATES letters!

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

Connor is only 2 1/2, so I'm not super worried yet, but I'm getting a bit irritated.

He loves to count.  He can easily count to 15, though sometimes he skips 3.  He counts all day long.  Whenever there is more than one of something, he wants to count it.

But he HATES letters.  He won't let me sing him the ABC song, won't play any letter games on the computer, won't play with any letter games we've gotten for him.  He even got one of those Leapfrog fridge phonics sets for Christmas, but all he does is throw the letters and hide them.

I don't want to push, because that will just reinforce the idea that letters are no fun.  He loves books, so I don't want to ruin that.  (He finds my Harry Potter books and pretends to read them at bedtime.)  

Does anyone have any tips that could help me get him interested?  Or do  you think I should just totally drop it and try again in a few months?

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JojosMom18613
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Jo's the same age (June 2008) and just stairs when I write out the alphabet, but gets animated when I write out numbers. I'd just let it go for now and keep reading to him. He'll get it eventually, good luck!

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM

no clue. good luck though.

lovinmykiddo07
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Mine is 3.5 and hates his letters as well. He is a VERY smart boy, but letters are just something he is not interested in. He cant sing his ABC's but he can tell me just about every dinosaur (and pronouce it rather well for a 3 year old) or he can name me any type of animal, or any type of plane. He can tell me anything and everything about things he is interested in, but he cant sing his ABC's. :-/

SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Quoting JojosMom18613:

Jo's the same age (June 2008) and just stairs when I write out the alphabet, but gets animated when I write out numbers. I'd just let it go for now and keep reading to him. He'll get it eventually, good luck!

Connor is a June 2008 baby too, and he has the same car as your son!  Here he is Christmas morning, 2009

aneela
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Give it some time I would say...but definitely use songs that feature the alphabet...play them and you sing along sometimes...and see if he joins in more...over time..not sing to him...but you just sing...randomly

Good luck as you said nothing to be too worried about just yet.

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I agree with the not pushing. Have you tried any videos? My kids love Here Come the ABC's by They Might Be Giants. It's not traditional kid stuff--it's slightly edgier, quirkier. FUN! DH and I also love it. =)

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Karen_S
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I think you've got it right - don't push it. He's probably picked up that it is important to you, and is pushing back against that.  He's got plenty of time, so maybe just drop learning letters entirely for a while.  Read to him tons - that's the most important thing you can do anyway.  And then when a month or two has gone by, maybe try restarting in a really fun way - like making pancakes in the shape of a letter, or singing fun songs.

You can maybe work on other kinds of learning in the meantime - word meanings (colors, talking about things like bigger/smaller, hot and cold, on top of, vs. next to, vs under, etc), number things like cooking together and counting how many spoons of this or cups of that, "science" experiments like getting a bowl of water, collecting little things around the house and asking him to predict which will float and which will sink (don't correct him if he's wrong, just make it fun to guess then see what happens).  All kinds of ways to learn while he's taking a break from letters...:-)

Dichroic
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Make up some colored squares and write a letter and a number on each.  A-1, B-2, C-3, etc.  and ask him if he wants to put them in order by number.  He'll be automatically doing the alphabet in order then, too. 

Show him how much fun it is to play with letters by playing Scrabble (also has letters and numbers on the tiles). with family members.

3HappylKidds
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM

one show my 2 year old year loves is the leap frog's letter factory.. my son watches it in kindergarten an i got it just to see what he was watching.. an i love it! my 2 year old will want to watch it all day.. he isnt saying his letters yet or anything but he will sit there an watch it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)