Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 year old Ear ache help...

Posted by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 4 year old just came home from preschool and told me her ear hurts "on the inside." She  never had an ear infection / ear ache before. I'm not sure how to tell if it is an infection or something to worry about.

I'm thinking of a doc appt. Until then is there anything I should do? She doesn't seem to be in a lot of pain. She just got over a slight cough & cold in the last week. thanks.

by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dichroic
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Did she put anything into her ear today at school? 

I know that a few drops of warm olive oil is recommended to relieve pain, but I would still have her checked asap.

.Angelica.
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Not sure. my son hasn't had one before. here's a bump

2rays0fsun
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Quoting Dichroic:

Did she put anything into her ear today at school? 

I know that a few drops of warm olive oil is recommended to relieve pain, but I would still have her checked asap.

she said no..

Stephie280
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM

I would have her checkedd. i wouldn't put anything in her ears because this is her first ear ache. now my kids with cronic ear aches we do the warm olive oil.

2rays0fsun
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Quoting Stephie280:

I would have her checkedd. i wouldn't put anything in her ears because this is her first ear ache. now my kids with cronic ear aches we do the warm olive oil.

can the oil be harmful?

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM

I don't know if there's any way you can tell without one of those little tools the doc uses. If you are breastfeeding (I know this sounds weird, but) you can pump a little milk and put it right into the ear. It's great for ear infections!

2-point-doe
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM

Some tylenol and a warm wash cloth will help relieve the pain. My son used to get really bad breath when he got ear infections.

If it is an ear infectioni would ask how bad and about holding of on antibiodics. Most will clear on there own in about the same time with or without antibiodics. My son went through so many that he is now immune to most and they still ended up tubing him. DD has had 1 infection and no meds. We only knew because at a routine checkup they noticed.

txlady06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:11 PM

With my son when he had an infection in his ears you could smell it. And if tylenol doesn't relieve the pain just take her in to be sure. Its better to be safe than sorry with the ears.

txlady06
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 5:13 PM

Quoting 2-point-doe:

If it is an ear infectioni would ask how bad and about holding off on antibiodics. Most will clear on there own in about the same time with or without antibiodics. My son went through so many that he is now immune to most and they still ended up tubing him. DD has had 1 infection and no meds. We only knew because at a routine checkup they noticed.

I agree my son is allergic to some of them because he also went threw so many as a baby for ear infections.

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Tylenol and call the doc. Does she have a fever?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)