Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Picky Eaters 101 - Share your tips here!

Posted by   + Show Post

This post is the place for us to give advice to Moms who have picky eaters.

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1.       Don't make a big deal out of eating.

2.       Have your children help in the prep work for cooking. 

3.       Make sandwiches into fun shapes using cookie cutters. 

4.       Change undesirable textures by using blenders and knives to make things more kid friendly.

5.       Let your kids help pick recipes and do the shopping.

6.       Offer dips with food (vanilla yogurt , applesauce, ketchup, ranch dressing, etc).

7.       Be patient.

eating

For more tips:

by on Feb. 15, 2011 at 7:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
DaniS74
by on Mar. 29, 2011 at 2:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We made a game called "Two Bites" to get our picky eater to start trying new foods. We each take a turn choosing which food we're going to take a bite of. We have to take two bites of every food served, and we get a card for that food group with each bite. Once we have 2 cards of each food group, we are allowed to have dessert.   After everyone gets their 2 cards, we have a bonus nutrition trivia round for points and the one with the most points gets to pick dessert.  It was succesful for us, we let our kids daycare try it with their fussiest eaters, and it worked there too.  So we put the game together and put it out on the market.

AydensMommy1109
by on Apr. 1, 2011 at 1:12 PM

My 3 yr old son is in food regression! for the first 2 1/2 yrs of his life i swear the boy would eat anything put in front of him, which was super exciting for me, i thought i was gunna by-pass the picky eater. Boy was i wrong! He went from eating super healthy meals and fruits to not wanting to eat anything he use to. Now he will eat spaghetti O's but not spagghetti..chicken nuggets but not chicken breasts...no veggies..no fruits..ahhh! Help! My only conclusion is gramas house...she lets him eat cookies and cereal ect. all day..and she wont stop no matter what..any advice?

mommykat613
by on Apr. 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM

all of these suggestions are great!  I have that cookbook for sneaking veggies in too, and my kids really like the food.  But, I also serve a "real" veggie with the meals too.  That way they don't think that it is ok not to eat the healthy vegetables, but they are also getting the nutrients even if they only try a bite of the actual vegetable.  

I also don't make seperate meals.  It took a while but my 4 1/2 year old is really starting to come around and try the "weird" foods when he sees how much we all like them (including his 2 year old sister who will eat anything that sits still long enough!).    I think we're going to try that "two bites" game with him though! that was a great idea and I really thing it will get him more excited about eating the foods!  I honestly beleive it's a mental block with him when it comes to veggies!!!  

steph_hailee
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Wow great ideas I sure do need them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Zoeysmomma119
by on Apr. 18, 2011 at 6:59 PM

What is the name of the cook book? I need to do this with DD. I have no problems with fruit but the only veggie she eats are potatoes.

Quoting mommykat613:

all of these suggestions are great!  I have that cookbook for sneaking veggies in too, and my kids really like the food.  But, I also serve a "real" veggie with the meals too.  That way they don't think that it is ok not to eat the healthy vegetables, but they are also getting the nutrients even if they only try a bite of the actual vegetable.  

I also don't make seperate meals.  It took a while but my 4 1/2 year old is really starting to come around and try the "weird" foods when he sees how much we all like them (including his 2 year old sister who will eat anything that sits still long enough!).    I think we're going to try that "two bites" game with him though! that was a great idea and I really thing it will get him more excited about eating the foods!  I honestly beleive it's a mental block with him when it comes to veggies!!!  

barefootmommi
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Jessica seinfeld has a wonderful book called delicious deception that helps y work veggies into things like mashed potatoes and brownies
stevi3905
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 5:29 AM
1 mom liked this

My 3 year old is a really picky but we have fixed it with relatively no extra work. We set a time frame that she has to be finished by (if not, she tries to throw the food). After that, the food is covered and put up for the next time she says she is hungry or wants to eat. After a few meals like this she has stopped and just ate what was there so she didn't have to deal with it any more.

Kristenn
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 7:39 AM
Smoothies!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetcandiecane
by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I just want my daughter to stop snacking and not eating dinner

littlekids
by on Apr. 22, 2011 at 11:35 PM

our son is very picky eater he only eats chicken nuggetts fries

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN