Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Workbooks for 2 year olds

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM
  • 21 Replies

Okay ladies what learning activities do you do with your 2 year olds?  Besides just play do you do workbooks or anything else with them??  I need ideas........ So workbooks games of any sort

by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:54 PM

We use starfall.com once a day and work on on letter, one color, one shape, one number all day. 

millasmum
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I tried a Dora counting workbook with my daughter who is 2 1/2. She stays attentive for a minute then starts acting silly. She seems to learn better while we are playing, like I will ask her what color her block is and how many.She loves puzzles too.

Dichroic
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I think workbooks for two year olds are not appropriate. 

Coloring and reading to them and talk-talk-talk about everything!  That's about all you need to do at that age.

Workbooks are fine at age three.  I don't think any child should have to do more than one page at that age, though.  Learning should be play.  There's plenty of formal training coming later!

Dawne98
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 5:53 PM

My DD is has been going to PRK 2 for the last two months and is LOVEING IT I was school at the teacher helper today:) B4 her going to school and still now at home read read read! It is so cute to see her get a book and "read it" :)

matofour
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Workbooks at two are not appropriate at all. At two your focus should be social behavior.
You should reading daily, xountin things, going over colors, pointing out names of objects.
At two the world is a learning experience, go out, explore and talk about what you see, they will learn so much more than workbooks.
And flashcards are not appropriate either. Little kid are active learners, the more actively you are involved in day today life the more they will learn.
If you want to talk about red, finger paint in red, wear red clothes, go buy red foods, find the Color red in signs, there are a million ways to teach without using a workbook which will turn your two year old off to learning.
Not only that it's not age appropriate for a two year old to be able to hold a writing utensil the correct way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZoeCY
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:06 PM

We used starfall.com some as well.  I agree with the other responses though, we did more active learning when my daughter was 2 (and still do- she just turned 3).

SmileyMoo
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I disagree my 2 year old loved workbooks at 2 and still does. A child shouldn't be FORCED to do it if they don't want. But if she's interested in the work books then let her do it :)

Elizabethmo2
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:14 PM

its funny because my dd is 6 and my son is 2 so I have done all this before but before I had more time to be creative lol (I also have a 7 month old) so I got so many ideas and though we didn't do a lot in workbooks we talked about a page and I helped them do things like matching things like that... we did all sort of finger painting too.... I am just going to have to get out the fingerpaint high chair lol so we can try it its just so funny how different my son is at learning then my daughter was...

Elizabethmo2
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

We use starfall.com once a day and work on on letter, one color, one shape, one number all day. 

are you a member then at starfall.com? I just went there and the area for letters and numbers say you have to pay 35 for it?

SmileyMoo
by on Feb. 16, 2011 at 6:19 PM

the best thing to do is follow the cues of the child. My daughter is super interested in workbooks, writing and drawing/coloring etc. If the workbooks are age appropriate it's fine :) We've got shape and color workbooks etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN