Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to the Group and have a little problem..

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM
  • 26 Replies

Hey all! My name is Beth and I am new to this group and would like help with a little problem.

I have an almost 2 year old, Landon and he still is not talking, He only says Dada, Kayla (sisters name) and MaMa.. He understands me and can point out what he wants he answers questions by nodding and shaking his head. I don't know if I should seek out a speech therapist or just let him come into his own eventually.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamanthaAgain
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:36 PM

I don't think that super worrisome, but if your mommy instinct is telling you something is wrong, then go ahead and bring it up to his doctor.

ballerina.2006
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM
My son turned 2 in Dec an just barely started expanding his vocabulary since then. He now doesnt shut up! Most is still babble but he will at least mimic words now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama07Shorty
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I'm going through this right now  my son is  3 and he is not a big talker, awhile back his doctor mentioned a speech therapist but i got him into a days a few hrs each day preschool and it helped a lil but in the end we ended up getting an appointment set up for him to get evaluated on the 25th.....I would talk to his pediatriction and see what he/she thinks, does he interact with our kids his age like paydates or anything?  My son's teacher said its a slim chance but it might be that my son is hearing a tone different and thats whats throughing his speech off......I would say give it a lil bit more time and see if maybe he does start talking more if you really worried talk to the doctor first

RockinMama0608
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Right before my son turned two, the dr. noticed he wasn't very talkative.  He recommended Early Childhood Development.  It has helped him tremendously and now talks.  If you are concerned, talk to his pediatrician about it.

spunky946
by Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM
That is not normal at that age. Dd is 2.5 and in speech therapy. We called early intervention and it has really helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Angelica.
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I guess you could always bring it up with your doctor. But If he is understanding you I think he should be alright.

daisysrdeadly
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM

If it were me I would speak with the Doctor and see what route they think would be best. My doctor and I agreed with DD that some group activities would help so at 3 she started a pre-k/daycare program and dance classes and her speech went up a ton and now at 4 almost 5 she speaks very well. As long as he is comprehending and trying you are on the right track.

3HappylKidds
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:00 PM

My son started speech therapy when he was 23 months old. he is now 26 months and in 3 months HUGE change.

Before speech he could only say 4 words.. now he tells me what he wants, and says everyone names plus so much more.. also starting to put 2 words together

new_mom808
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 1:21 PM

I would talk to his ped about having him evaluated, just to be safe.

RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 21, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Give him some time. I know LOTS of 2 year olds who still aren't talking much at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)