Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When did you teach your child/ren 911?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter will be 4 in July... I am a single mom and constantly aftraid something will happen to me and she won't know what to do... but I'm not sure how to go about teaching her... any thoughts or suggestions?... Thanks!

by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JuniorsMami2007
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:45 PM
Bump! (I've been thinking about the same thing lately)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nazmom2be
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM
Me too...my younger brother didn't learn it until 2nd grade.....but that was when out town first got it. I learned to police # in kindergarten. Idk on our kids tho b/c accidental dialings aren't taken lightly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Undomesticated
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

I've been thinking of this because it's usually just me and the kids at home during the day.  But, my son is only 2 1/2, so I worry that that will be too early for him to understand and trying tot each him what would constitute as an emergency.  But, I also want him to know what to do in an emergency.

bamababe1975
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I think the girls were 4 when I really started teaching them, but they'd already heard in convos and from TV shows and such to call 9-1-1 if there's a fire, someone's hurt badly, etc., so they already had a good idea of what it was for, and that it was for real emergencies, not if sissy won't give her back her toy. ;)

ladybuggirls
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM

I think I'm gonna let her "practice" calling my parents, just so she can get used to operating the phone (I have an iPhone, which can be hard for even some adults to unlock!)... But, I too have the fear that she will accidently call 911...

ahawkins
by Gold Member on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

this is a good question I would like to know too!

Mari6443
by on Feb. 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM

My husband and I haven't taught our daughter (who's 6) how to dial 911 yet. But we're probably going to soon. You just show your daughter how to dial 911, only in an emergency - like if you don't respond when she speaks to you. Tell her if anything happens to you or anyone else, show her the numbers for 911. If she practices it, she'll remember it and know what to do in case something happens.

sofiesmom112
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 4:10 AM

We have a book about it, with a dial keypad that says "911 what is your emergency" when they dial it correctly, and the book of course tells stories about different reasons to dial 911..She is starting to learn about dialing the phone, so I guess it is time to start using the book. Before I was always afraid she would dial 911 on the real phone without knowing what to do...

bhwrn1
by on Feb. 24, 2011 at 5:55 AM

I can't remember! My oldest knows it. We are working on it with my 4 y/o. So I guess 4 for him. But I think my oldest knew it earlier.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)