Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

Discipline 101 - Share your best tips here!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM
  • 303 Replies
17 moms liked this

This post is the place for us share advice and experiences on how to discipline our toddlers.

Here are some of the top tips from moms in the group:

1. Be firm and consistent.

2. Follow through on any threats you make.

3. Get down on the child’s level and talk in a soft voice without yelling.

4. Use positive reinforcement and direction. 

5. 123 Magic is a popular techinque. Your child has until the count of three to stop the bad behavior. If you make it to three they receive punishment.

toddler tantrum

For more tips on disciplining your toddler:

Please share your best tips here!

by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Feb. 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Be firm and consistent!!

momoftwins_2
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:34 PM
10 moms liked this

consistancy is key. If they can get away with it sometimes and not other times they will learn to play that card.

katie2007709
by on Feb. 25, 2011 at 12:38 PM
17 moms liked this
Consistency. Explain in detail more than once have them repeat it back. That helps my 3 yr old. Ex: "we dont hit, it hurts, do u like owies?" She responds "no I wont hit, owies hurt, they make me cry" then we talk about what we can do instead when we are upset
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sniffles101
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Everyone discipling has to be consistent, have them tell you what they did wrong, give hugs & kisses, say, "m sorry" and mommy (or daddy) will say we love you. Works every time!

momofone072506
by on Feb. 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM
15 moms liked this

spin off question ---- So if your kid is 4 (like mine) and you were NOT consistent and now she is out of control how can you correct the behavior without driving your self (and your neighbors) insane

Cafe Robin
by Group Admin on Feb. 26, 2011 at 4:39 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting momofone072506:

spin off question ---- So if your kid is 4 (like mine) and you were NOT consistent and now she is out of control how can you correct the behavior without driving your self (and your neighbors) insane

Find something that she likes a lot and give her a time out with out that thing - whether it's tv, a playdate or a favorite toy...or something that she's enjoying at the moment.  Let her know that until she's good, stops acting up or does what she's told, she will have to live without it for a while.

When you say that there will be no dessert or no tv because she did something bad, stick with it - don't cave in and give it to her anyway.  At least hold off for a while so she doesn't think she can be bad and get away with it.

starlene23
by on Feb. 27, 2011 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm going have to try this i like

Quoting Cafe Robin:

Quoting momofone072506:

Find something that she likes a lot and give her a time out with out that thing - whether it's tv, a playdate or a favorite toy...or something that she's enjoying at the moment.  Let her know that until she's good, stops acting up or does what she's told, she will have to live without it for a while.

When you say that there will be no dessert or no tv because she did something bad, stick with it - don't cave in and give it to her anyway.  At least hold off for a while so she doesn't think she can be bad and get away with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TygerLily62
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this

Be consistant. the corner works wonders for my kids.

MamaSulli2005
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM
4 moms liked this

Well my older two now have Leapsters, as soon as I mention it's going to disappear if the behavior isn't changed they perk right up. On another note I've recently made a list with bad behavior leading to some sort of small chore. It worked the first day. They get a warning for their actions and the next time they do it we go to the list and see what chore they need to do. These chores are things like straightening up the foyer(shoes,coats, etc.), wiping down the table, or helping put their clothes away.

gnoamy
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 6:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Never give in! Consistency is key with toddlers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)