Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there HORRIBLE 4's?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 AM
  • 23 Replies

My son is 4, he has recently started acting out quit a bit. He is throwing things screaming at me, trying to order me around. I feel so defeated. Please help I feel that I am a very consistent parent it just seems that what I am doing is not working.. shrugging

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Angelica.
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:50 AM

my son is 3 and just now entering quite possibly his worst phase yet. so I have no advice.

butterflyfreak
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Try giving him choices! Just little choices that won't affect you "do you want to wear the blue shirt or the red shirt? Do you want to put your pants on first or your shirt on first? Do you want this for breakfast or that? If you give them choices, it makes them feel they have more control, then they are willing to give BACK some of that control! It really works for us. 

Sam.Marie
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:52 AM
My sister always told me that the 2's are bad but 3 and 4 is worse because they have an attitude and know how to use it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bnnic
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:55 AM
im consistant too and my dd is in her horrible 4s too. She yells @ me, throws fits, crys EVERYtime she doesnt get her way, tells me no and absolutly will not do what she is told without some sorta threat or fight. Im goin nuts, plus we decided to try and quit smoking!! G. L. And ill keep checking back for some answers!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alayne911
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:01 AM

girl i totally feel ya! We are going threw the same things. Its hard not to blame yourself or you parenting. That's why I put this on here so that someone might read it and help me.

jcsmummy
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:59 AM
My oldest is 6 now and just starting to level out. She still has the same attitude, but is better about holding her tongue and keeping hands to herself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gaamom
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:26 AM

My 6 year old has become calmer, but my 9 year old has a big ole tude!

joeykttn
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Yep, 4 is the worst...till you hit preteen years HAHA

I like the "giving choices" advice. I give him *and his 5 yr old brother who didn't have quite the attitude at this age) lots of choices, about clothes, about snacks, about what cup they want to drink from. And I do this, even with bad behavior. "Do you want to keep yelling, or do you want (punishment)?" He almost always calms down. If not, I follow through with the punishment I offered as a choice.

Alayne911
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:30 PM

thank you all so much!

liveforever
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 4:31 PM

no...its ferocious 4's!

i think theres a little stage with every age...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)