Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ideas to help wake her up-PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM
  • 13 Replies

My preschooler is NOT a morning person.  I'm not either so I give her a break.  She is also very strong willed and mornings are a constant battle.  I have tried explaining, bribing, cajoling, yelling, charts, alarms etc to get her to get up and get dressed.  Virtually every morning is a battle to get her dressed.  My routine is I kiss her and rub her and tell her it's time to wake up and I turn the light on.,  I set her time for 10 minutes and then I go start getting ready in the bathroom (next to her room) and then I keep talking to her saying this is how much time you have left and she will whine and complain but ask if I'm done yet.  If she's not done, or close enough to being done by the time I'm done then she doesn't get to wake up her sister.  And if she doesn't get to wake her sister up, then according to her I've ruined her day.  Yes she's a drama princess too.  All in all she has about 20-25 minutes to wake up and get dressed. 

So any other ideas on how to get her stumbling on the right path in the morning?  I do realize that she's 3 and some clothes are trickier then others.  I don't expect perfection but I do expect effort.  Thanks mama's.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

I have a hard time getting my kindergartener moving in the morning. He's not usually grumpy, just s-l-o-w... I call him a turtle in molasses!

So, I'm not much help. But I look forward to seeing what kind of answers you might get, so here's a BUMP! =)

its a girlbaby girlgirl on a swingtwin girlstoddler girl

—> Have girls? <—

Post here for a chance to win a CM t-shirt!

AshMomToShawn
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Shawn is usually up before I am so mommy gets pounced on but if we have an appointment or something I'm up first. I'll make breakfast while I get ready, get it plated for him, and then go tickle him awake. It's the only way to wake him up without completely pissing him off. He just turned 3 today.  

mormonmommy85
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 11:52 AM
I usually open my dd's door about a half hour before i actually attempt to wake her. I find she is happier if she sorta wakes up on her own than being woken up. After the half hour i go in and tell her it's time to get up, i tell her what we have planned for the day and so on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2and2onway
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Start earlier, you may have to get up earlier, but if that is your expectation that may be what it takes.

ddhb2007
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:52 PM

We have defined getting up, going to the bathroom, and getting dressed as our daughter's "job".  If she does her "job", she gets paid by watching one episode of Clifford when we get home from school.  On days she doesn't do her "job", she doesn't get paid.  It's eliminated the headache most days. 

She also has evening "jobs" she has to do at night.  Turning on the lights in the living room and the exterior for her dad, putting her dishes in the sink when she's done eating, being cooperative, and taking her bath earn her a second episode of Clifford right before she goes to bed.  

rHOPEb
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Sounds like my hubby!  hahahaha!  I shake him every 5min for like 30-45min before he gets up!  Does she need to go to bed earlier or maybe tell her if she can't get up better she will have earlier bed time?  Or start on her earlier.  My hubby tells me stores of his mom getting him up for school.....pulling the sheets off of him, turning on all the lights, putting an ice cube on his back, tickling his feet (in which he kicked her and she told him she would NEVER wake him up again).  Anyway.  My DD (2yr) also has a hard time getting up, but usually if I turn on the light she will get up.  She just may be one that will forever be difficult to get up.....Good luck and God bless.......

2-point-doe
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Getting dressed is the last thing that happens in our house. DD get sup and gets to eat breakfast while watching a TV show (usually chuggington, her new favorite) We pick her clothes out the night before because I leave for work at 7:00. We usually leave 1/2 hour for teeth, clothes, and hair. Also, bedtime is at 8:00 and she is usually asleep by 8:30 so she gets 11 hours of sleep.

Maybe break down getting dressed into smaller steps and make it a games. How fast can you put your socks on etc.

Wendy_June
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM

I found that putting my 5 yo to bed earlier makes mornings go much more smoothly. This morning my alarm didn't go off & he woke up on his own which woke me up, thank goodness.

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 1:47 PM

What time does she go to bed?

My middle is not a morning person, on school days. other days hes up at the crack of dawn! i think a routine is important. Also, can you get her an alarm clock that goes off when she needs to get up and maybe that will help?

onix
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 9:44 AM

I will try some of the suggestions.. This morning she was awake even before I came down the steps.  It takes me a while before I wake up so I know how she feels.  The only time i wake up early and nicely is on the days I leave for vacation.  lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)