Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you be offended...

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM
  • 46 Replies

Would you be offended if you gave your kid's clothes to someone you thought needed them, but found out they sold them?

Just curious because I know of someone who was upset about this.  

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucysMom724
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I don't know if offended is the word.... I think I would be a little upset that they took advantage of my generosity. And probably moreso because I know so many people that I could give them to in general, that I would hope they could be honest and say "I don't need these" so someone else could benefit from them.

ohmommamia
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:33 PM
If they sold them and didnt use them. If they sell them after the kids outgrow them I wouldn't be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourpassion
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:34 PM

it would depend.  if i gave them to use and then wanted them back, i wouldn't be happy.  but if i gave them as a gift type of thing, it wouldn't bother me.

SoniaL
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:39 PM

I agree w/ this. If the person said "here are some clothes. Use what you want and you can donate anything you don't" then it would be fine. I have had friends say this when giving me clothes for my DDs. But I have also given a person a few things and even asked first if she wanted them and she said tes then never used them. I just feel like someone could be using them and that makes me mad (like a car seat!)

Quoting LucysMom724:

I don't know if offended is the word.... I think I would be a little upset that they took advantage of my generosity. And probably moreso because I know so many people that I could give them to in general, that I would hope they could be honest and say "I don't need these" so someone else could benefit from them.

http://leangreenmommy.wordpress.com/

sophiesmom07
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I really don't know.  I don't think I would be, but I can't say for sure.  Maybe they needed the money more than the clothes. 

Amanda_Jeanne
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM

I've been in this situation but not necessarily with clothes. I gave a friend my DS's bouncer seat when she found out she was pregnant, and sold her my breast pump for $50. She then turned around and either sold or gave the bouncer away and bought a brand new one for her DS, and ended up buying a brand new breastpump while mine just sat in her house. It was kind of a bummer. I wasn't necessarily offended, but she could have just said she didn't want those things and I could have given them/donated them to someone who would have actually used them.

shortmama83
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I don't think it would offend me, but if I expected that they used the money for something frivolous, I would just be a little more careful with how I helped them in the future.  

rHOPEb
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I would be very upset.  I am in a close-nit circle of friends and we all pass around baby/kid stuff and then donate to others (we have 2 situations right now).  So, if this person asked for clothes and then turned around and sold them for money......then yes I'd be very upset.  If they needed money, whey didn't they just ask for that instead?  I find that a lil rude......

SparklingHope
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I would be very upset, but there's nothing much that person can do. She gave 'em away without telling that person that they wanted the clothes back. So..tough lesson learned..never leaned out clothes or things to that person unless you really observe that that person is not gonna just turn around and sell it for money. 

RobynS
by Robyn on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM

This is what I was thinking, too. And the bottom line is--when you donate something, you should be giving it openly and without conditions.

Quoting sophiesmom07:

I really don't know.  I don't think I would be, but I can't say for sure.  Maybe they needed the money more than the clothes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)