Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OCD or just being almost 4?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM
  • 29 Replies

My almost 4 year old is VERY... particular.  Everything has to be just so.  He lines up his bowls and cup at breakfast (cereal bowl, applesauce bowl, cup).  Even if he's not eating those things he HAS to line them up every morning.  Every morning I have to take all of the cereal out of the cabinet and set them down on the counter in a line for him to choose one, even if there is only one choice.  He FLIPS if I don't do something the way I always do it.  He loves having furniture moved and such but everything better be put away in that furniture just right.

What's the deal?

*added* I should mention I don't want him "labeled" or anything like that.  I'm not going to seek treatment at this point either.  I'm just curious.  He is almost 4 and it's not something I feel is affecting his life in a negative way so I am just going to let it be.

Mommy to my angel baby (miscarried 6/21/06 at 10 weeks), Jason Josiah (born 6/6/07) who is always pushing to be the best he can be, and my VBAC baby who tested my patience to no end by being 15 days late Delaney Abygail Grace (born 4/19/10)

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ilovexzavier
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Wow! I have no idea! I hope someone has some answers for you!

poshkat
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM

maybe he just likes to be in control of his stuff?

anna_mccall
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM

It sounds like a little OCD to me. My son has OCD when he eats. His is though where his food cannot touch each other or he will refuse to eat his whole meal. He will also only eat one thing at a time, and if he doesn't like it , it has to come off of his plate or he will refuse to eat the rest of his food. He also must smell and he will stick his tongue to his food to taste it first. He likes certain food and will not try anything else. But he is particular in the food he does eat. For example he loves chicken nuggets but will only eat a certain brand. If I try another he will not eat it. He's done this since he was about a year old. He's 4.5yrs now. He also likes to stack toys and line things up by color or shape. If someone accidentally touches one of them he has a meltdown. He was diagnosed with Autism at age 2.

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

That does sound a little extreme. I know my son likes to have things a certain way but not to that point.

Tybaby07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Wow. My son is almost 4 also and he's nothing like that. He likes to pick his breakfast out but will usually just point or tell me what he wants.

I'd say yours does sound OCD, but maybe that is a bit extreme. Maybe there is just something that is bothering him and the only way he feels he has control is to be so rigid. I wouldn't worry unless it starts interfering with his day to day life. That is usually the determining factor when diagnosing things. If it's just a quork then it's really no big deal. Just something he does. But if it starts interfering with his functioning on a daily basis then I wouldn't be worried.

bhwrn1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:33 PM

Um...my 4 y/o is the same way. I think they are just trying to be in control of their environment.

Azita888
by Member on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM

My friend's daughter is the same way.  But her mom is a little ocd.  It may be ocd or may be just the age.

AnGLInterrupted
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:15 PM

That sounds a little OCD to me.  DD is not that way at all.  I'm the one that's more that way than she is.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, just bring it up at your 4 year check-up if it's bothering you.

kj21
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:23 PM
when my son was younger hes almost 5 now he would go around and kine everytging up, shoes, movies, his cars, etc. Has sunce grown out of it. The only thing he still does is throw a fit if his food ( cookies, crackers, things like that ) break.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MadLikeAHatter
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:31 PM

Sounds like my son, he organizes his cadies befoe eating them { like if he has m&m's, he will sort them into colors, and them 1 color at a time.} Do i think it is strange?? sure, but i refuse to lable him at this young.. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)