Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pets

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM
  • 20 Replies

I bring up this topic becuase we have a bird's nest in a window in our kitchen and my son loves birds if he sees a bird outside he tells it to come here to him and jumps up in the air for it...He's 2..

What kind of pet do you have?? Would you get a pet bird or whatever animal if you child was showing an interest in it??

Cherish every moment.....Lyssa Bergmanjuggling

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bhwrn1
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM

We have two dogs, a cat and a leopard gecko. When my first son was born, we had birds; big birds. I think 2 is kind of young to have them around, having experienced it in the past. I was always afraid he would put his fingers in the cage, pull on the bird, etc. We want to get an Amazon, but we are waiting until LO is older. Keep in mind the bigger the bird the longer they live. Big birds can live 100 years, small birds 20!

lyssabergman
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:15 PM
thanks...if we get one it will be a small bird. I've had them when I was younger...I'm thinking a fish would probably be better...he shows interest in all animals. He doesnt act like a 2 year old but more mature.
Undomesticated
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:17 PM

We have two dogs and a guinea pig.  The guinea pig is my 2 year olds pet that we let him pick out.  He wanted a snake or a spider, but I couldn't bring myself to have either of those in my house, yuck!!!  Makes my skin crawl thinking of it, lol.  And, DH wanted to get our son a bird.  But, I have a fear of birds, so that was out.  But, he also was excited when we showed him the guinea pigs.  So, that is his pet. 

.Angelica.
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I have a dog and a cat. And currently have 5 foster puppies. But I will be down to 3 foster puppies soon.

ecagle
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM

I've never had a pet bird...all pets are work though and each has a different personality ;)

We have a beta fish and a toy poodle named Beowulf.

Christy78
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I have 2 doxin they are 8 months old and one tabby cat who is 1 yr old

AmyG1976
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 2:23 PM

had a bird NEVER again messy horrible yuck died from egg issues... her name was jeff btw... we have 2 dogs dh wanted them I do all the work assoicated with haveing them I perfer nothing actually...

bandgeek521
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 3:50 PM

We have one dog and two hamsters, lol. I would definitely get another pet if our son was showing interest, were we in a house of our own (we rent) where I wouldn't feel like we're "pushing" it if you know what I mean, lol. I'd love to get him a turtle sometime, and they have kits where you can order butterly or frog eggs and watch them hatch and grow, which I think would be awesome when he's a little older. I just won't spend a fortune on an animal that he might lose interest in - I know different kinds of birds can be quite expensive, for example, or pure bred dogs (we believe in rescuing animals anyway). Its a commitment, taking in a pet, and while I don't mind the smaller ones that don't take a huge investment of time (in terms of how long they live, how much care they require, etc) or money, unless it was a pet we all want equally, I know that there are limits (like there's no way we could get a pony just because he may want one down the road, lol).

I've never had a bird, so I don't know what it takes or what to tell you to expect, but I hope you get the answers you're looking for! :)

mariesmama
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:04 PM

i like pet birds we have a cat my 1yr old loves

lovinmykiddo07
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 4:05 PM

We have a fish.. and will be getting a Savannah cat soon. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)