Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM
  • 53 Replies

Do you plan to send your kids to Pre-school or just wait and start them in Kindergarten?

How important do you feel pre-school is?

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM

My daughter loves going to preschool. I think the few hours a day that she gets to spend away from home everyday and with other kids is going to help her out alot. We will be sending our other children to preschool as well

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM

My kids start at 3 (two days a week for 2.5 hours).  For my kids I feel it is important.  Ds was a slow learner so that is why we started him at 3 and w/ dd I have been home w/ her since she was born and we feel she needs it socially. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Mine went to preschool and it helped him a lot in adjusting to other kids. He is an only child!

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I used to feel that it was fun for the kids, but not really educationally necessary.  But now that Kindergarten is the new first grade AND since so many people are holding back kids who don't seem ready or are young for their class-grouping...I've done a 180. 

These days, kids need to start Kindergarten already knowing how to go to school because they really hit the ground running.  There's not so much time for the teachers to acclimate children to the brand new environment with all of it's weird customs.  In preschool, the kids learn to sit with pretzel legs and listen to a story that they didn't pick and might not even be able to see all the pages.  They learn to raise their hand to ask and answer questions and they learn to wait until called upon.  They learn to feel comfortable going to the bathroom at school.  They learn to walk in a line, clean at clean up time, rest at resting time and listen at listening time.  They have their first fire drills in preschool in conjunction with developmentally appropriate instruction and practice.  They learn to negotiate the wide world of sharing/taking turns/cooperating with kids that may not necessarily be their friends.  And they get a heck of a lot more free play time during which they teach themselves all kinds of great stuff.

Geography plays a role.  Here on Long Island, I would advise any parent to send her child to preschool.  I teach 3 year old nursery school, and while I think it's awesome, I still consider it optional from an educational viewpoint.  Preschool here is just plain good sense.  Of course, pick wisely.  Too many daycare places call themselves a preschool, spend some time teaching letters and numbers, and do very little to prepare kids for school.  Others are so over the top academically centered, the kids are just plain alien to the environment.  Kids learn through play.  Preschool can be a great facilitator of that.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:00 PM

I don't plan on doing preschool. I don't feel that kids HAVE to go. Yeah it's nice but we aren't doing it.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM
My dd is in preschool she starts prek next aug
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM

We are sending our DS.  Actually he is starting a program this week b/c he really needs the socialization (he's an only child).  Also hope to get him in Pre-K in the fall for the same reason.  He does not need the academics....just really needs structure and to be around other kids.

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:03 PM

My son is already in preschool, his second year, he starts kindergarten this Fall. I am glad I started him, he is doing great since being in preschool. It helped him alot. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:08 PM

i felt pre-school was important for socialization only. and i am glad she went to preschool she learned how to interact with other kids which is something she would not have gotten being home.. also it gives them a chance to learn to listen to someone other than their parents. preschool is good.. and now she is ready for kindergarten, well that is if they let her go to kindergarten they have already said she might need to go to the first grade. 

by on Mar. 28, 2011 at 10:37 PM

My son is starting pre-k this fall. I think it is very important step for him. I want to make sure he learns everything he needs before kinder. My daughter will be going next year!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)