Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler with a tick!!!!!

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM
  • 10 Replies

AK changed daycares in January.  The first center was in the middl eof the city and had a pressed rubber playground.  The new center has pea gravel and dirt and is sort of "in the country". 

We live in AL and I grew up in the country and have had tons of ticks at one time or another.  AK is almost 3 and came home last night with a tick at the top of her butt crack.  I pulled it off like I've always done on myself but wanted to see what other moms do.

I also put in a call to her pediatrician to see what he prefers us to do.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MzHuycke
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:40 AM
Take it off, then go to the doctor just to be safe :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
my_three_sons
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 11:41 AM

My boys get ticks all the time....I soak a cotton ball in dish soap and hold it on the tick. It forces it to pull its head out than we flush it.

Bmama1
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:06 PM
Good question. I don't think I've ever seen a tick.
mama2jarednrae
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:08 PM

So far so good w/ never having a tick so I know I would take it off but I don't know what else I would do.

Freak out a little maybe!

.Angelica.
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I've never had a tick, but my cat got one when I was younger. I would probably go to the doctor though since I'm not familiar with them.

2-point-doe
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 12:55 PM

As hunter and a hiker I have dealt with ticks plenty on us, the dogs, etc (usually me, yuck). I just grab close to the skin and pull. Then wash the area well.

There are all sorts of remedies liek cover in vaseline etc to get them to pull their head out but i don't think it is neccessry. I would say do what ever your doc advises.

YzmaRocks
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM
We used to get ticks all the time when I was a kid. As long as is not a deer tick she is fine. And even if it was a deer tick most likely she is fine. There is a chance of getting lymes disease from a deer tick but it can be diagnosed with a simple blood test and is treatable with antibiotics (my brother had it when he was 5).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whimsyjuggalett
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM

ticks have a hard time sinking their teeth into toddlers becausew the skin is so thin. I would circle it with a marker and keep an eye on it. Did you keep it? did you get a good look at it? Deer ticks carry Lime disease. and Dog ticks carry some rare parasite I cannot remember the name of it, but its extreamly rare and there has only been a couple of cases in the north. My daughter had one a couple yrs ago on her and it was on their for over 24 hrs Im not a country girl didnt notice it or even think about it I was new to the country side. I saw something on her and just thought it was a little dirt. Next day I was like OMG its a tick so I took it off and looked at it and did research. And nothing came of it.

2-point-doe
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:18 PM

The other "common" disease is Rocky mountain Spotted Fever. The chance of catching anything is really quite low. Watch for rash or fever.

Quoting whimsyjuggalett:

ticks have a hard time sinking their teeth into toddlers becausew the skin is so thin. I would circle it with a marker and keep an eye on it. Did you keep it? did you get a good look at it? Deer ticks carry Lime disease. and Dog ticks carry some rare parasite I cannot remember the name of it, but its extreamly rare and there has only been a couple of cases in the north. My daughter had one a couple yrs ago on her and it was on their for over 24 hrs Im not a country girl didnt notice it or even think about it I was new to the country side. I saw something on her and just thought it was a little dirt. Next day I was like OMG its a tick so I took it off and looked at it and did research. And nothing came of it.

momoftwins_2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:10 PM
We don't have very many ticks here. Not sure what to do. I'd say call the pedi just to make sure
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)