Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Talking, is this normal?

Posted by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

Haha, yes an "is it normal" post. :D

Anyway, my son is speech delayed and has been in therapy and he has apraxia but is doing better.

Anyway again, he says somethings like with an accent or something. Like Nemo (he loves Finding Nemo). Insted of saying it like: "Knee-Mo" he says it like: "Neh-Moh." His O's are weird too, always like more of an 'OU' than 'OH' sound or 'OI' sound instead of 'OH' sound. Is this normal? And his E's always sound like 'EH" instead of 'EE', make sense? And his A's sound like 'AH', like apple is said 'ahpple'.

We live in southern AZ so we don't have any real accents or anything and none of us talk like this so I dunno where he is picking it up, you know? But it does make him hard to understand sometimes.

by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
anna_mccall
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM

I live in Ok and my son talks with a Yankee accent. He sounds like he's straight out of Brooklyn lol

ddhb2007
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:07 PM

I think it's probably related to his delay.  He's probably struggling to make the correct sound.

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM

well I am going to go with normal (I have a copy of the denver 11 test and had a child in speech) however if your concerned and he goes to speech therapy I would just ask for some time to talk to the therpist about your concerns

anna_mccall
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:12 PM

oh I forgot my son was diagnosed with speech apraxia as well. He was diagnosed the same time as his autism.

MarShy740
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM
My son when he said coffee he said it like a New Yorker I loved it and Milk he really did a KKKKK sound he doesn't do it anymore but it was so cute I'm gonna day normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmama1
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 1:23 PM
Bump =)
momoftwins_2
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:07 PM
My girls talk with an accent yet we do nt have one. Idk why they do that! They don't have speech problems though
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pnut1027
by on Apr. 13, 2011 at 2:32 PM

my 4 yr old DD sounds like she is from Boston we live in Indiana. Her Ped said it will disappear as she gets older & farther along in school & learns the correct pronunciation of the words.  She also says 4 "fowr".   I'm not too worried about right now.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)