Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do you limit their portions?

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:54 AM
  • 41 Replies
Ds is two and given the chance will eat constantly so we make sure to limit his portions at meals because if there is food he just won't stop until he gets sick he gets 3 meals and 2 snacks meals usually constist of 3 portions like meat starch veggie and each portion is no bigger than his hand for snacks he gets fruit or whole. Grain crackers and cheese stick or a yo baby or something similar I've had family comment to me that I shouldn't be limiting his portions during a meal and let him just keep eating he doesn't have any weight issues the dr said his weight is perfect do you limit portions for your kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thebailiffs
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 3:01 AM
Nope, our son never eats everything he is given. Like an small adult size slice of pizza he will not even finish. I find the more things on the plate the less of everything he will eat. So I put more protein and less carbs. Even when he plays sports he is not more hungry.

I think it is good to limit their portion size, so they do not gain to much weight.

I also give everything in moderation, so yes we give him sweets but not a lot and only after his meal.
emarin77
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

If my soon to be 3 year old son wants two servings which only occers maybe once every 3 weeks, I give it to him.  After that no more servings.  He eats three meals a day with milk. One or two snacks too.  I think he asks for more food when a growth spurt is occuring.

VioletPlacebo
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

If you are truly concerned about his eating habits, talk to his pediatrician. If he will eat until he makes himself sick, it makes sense to limit his portions. However, if he is actually hungry (you hear his stomach, he's really cranky/tired/out of sorts often), you should probably allow him to eat more at each sitting or give him additional snacks throughout the day. If his weight is fine, then he is probably very active and burning through the calories. I don't limit my daughter's portions because she is not a big eater. She will graze throughout the day and will rarely eat an entire meal in one sitting.

AnGLInterrupted
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I give DD small portions, she's only 3 and her stomach is tiny compared to adults.  She also gets hungrier faster because her stomach is smaller.  So she'll eat smaller portions but more frequently throughout the day!

If your child is eating until they are sick, there's something else going on there and you need to consult with your pediatrician asap!

faithlives
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM
I don't think you're supposed to limit their portions unless they are overweight. I put more than a fistful...that's two bites for my daughter...she usually eat almost adult size meals. She is petite.25 pounds at two years old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aydans_Mommy
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:14 PM

Kind of. Sometimes he doesn't even eat what I give him. He gets things in moderation.

stormystar15
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM
i have never limited my 4 yr olds portions he eats when hes hungry and stops when hes full. hes average height and weight for his age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhwrn1
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I don't really limit portions. I do try to even them out but if my kids are hungry, I let them eat. They are both in the 97th percentile for weight, but it has always been that way since they were born.

AmyG1976
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM

no  I allow them to eat until they are full, they know what they need there bodys tell them to eat more right before growth spurts and what not. I do limit the crap they consume by well not really buying crap...

Honeybun09
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM

My 2 year old doesn't eat very much, so I give her very small portions at a time! She asks for more if she wants more, so I'm not worried about her eating too little. Sometimes she skips whole snacks/meals though. I stop at seconds. There are no thirds or fourths. My daughter eats is offered a snack/meal every two hours (or so - not a strict schedule LOL) so there's no need for her to have more than that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)