Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My three year old son is terrified and hysterical! Help!

Posted by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM
  • 79 Replies
My three year old son, Jake, has always had lots of dreams - dreams that seem to mostly be auditory in nature (he has talked often about hearing noises at night, very loud slams and things like that), but the dreams have never seemed to bother him. Until about a week ago. Suddenly he is waking up every night - 4 am on the dot most nights - screaming and crying and talking about wanting us to make the noises go away.
These definitely are not night terrors, as he remembers the dreams vividly the next day and will recount them several times with no changes to the way he describes them. He is definitely having nightmares of some kind. But they seem to be getting worse and worse. He ended up in our bed last night because he couldn't stop shaking and refused to go back to sleep. He talked about last night's dream all day, and was visibly terrified to go into his room. Tonight, he has been hysterical - screaming before bed about not wanting to go near his room, wanting me to take all clocks and radios (anything that makes noise) out of his room. He wanted all the lights on, and his daddy was going to sit with him till he fell asleep - which we usually do, anyway - and he was STILL crying hysterically and could barely make himself go into his room.

Has anyone else dealt with excessive nightmares??? I don't know how to help him through this. I've tried everything I can think of.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kkcontreras
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:29 PM

BUMP!

misty8007
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

BUMP!

Tuck_n_Aiden23
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeatherSumowski
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:33 PM
Have you had him checked out by a pediatric psychiatrist?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melisawoosley
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM
Have u ever considered that something is in there with him and there's something that he is terrified of? I will explain why in a min
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
clovismommy25
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:34 PM

I have deatl with this, and it wasnt nightmares. There was an evil spirit, or demon, ghost. What ever you wnat to call it in the house, we moved ASAP! And that was the end of it!

SarahMM23
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Bump!

hmommy07
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM

i would rule out all other things before getting a 3 year old on medication.

hmommy07
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM

that's what i was thinking too.... OP, any clues as to what the dreams are about??? are they the same? have the same noises or same "character" in them?

Quoting clovismommy25:

I have deatl with this, and it wasnt nightmares. There was an evil spirit, or demon, ghost. What ever you wnat to call it in the house, we moved ASAP! And that was the end of it!

HeatherSumowski
by on Apr. 23, 2011 at 11:38 PM
Or you could try a behavioralist. Taking your child to get checked out doesn't automatically mean your child will be put on medication
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)