Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

How do you teach your kids to share?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM
  • 12 Replies

When it comes to parenting, it’s pretty clear that moms know best!  We want to showcase your  best tips and advice on parenting toddlers and preschoolers in a series of guides to help other moms in your shoes.  Over the next several weeks, we’ll be picking your brains on all sorts of experiences that go hand and hand with raising a little one. 

Please read the question below and give us your best examples of how you approached this situation with your kids.  Your tip might be picked and featured in our new guide series very soon!

toddler boyHow do you teach your kids to share and “play nice” in social settings and inside your home (with siblings or when their friends are over)?

by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ladybuggirls
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:32 PM

BUMP!

MariAnKenobi
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 10:35 PM

I don't. I teach my kids to respect other kids' things.

Every child has the right to stand in a corner with his own things and not play with anybody. A child who is always forced to give up his rights will soon learn he doesn't really have any and become bitter about it. I never force a child to share his personal belongings with others. They may ask, and he may refuse. After enough times of sitting by himself while everyone else has a good time, a child will usually decide to share on his own.

LancesMom
by on Apr. 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM

I think kids repeat what they see, so if they see others or you sharing they will also.

Maybe sharing food to start. "I am eating a yummy cookie, would you like to share with me." And break off a half.

My Dad always let us kids cut a piece of cake but let the others choose first. So that was a good way to learn how to be fair.

.Angelica.
by Angie on Apr. 26, 2011 at 12:11 AM

My son is pretty good at sharing when it's not his toys. I remind him they aren't his, but that they are for everyone (if in public) or if at someone else's house I tell him it's their toys and they are nice enough to share so he has to do the same.

At home there are a few toys I will let him not share, but I tell him to keep it in his room if he doesn't want to while people are over, and I don't allow the other kids in his room if there is issues. But I do make him bring toys out for everyone.

chattinmom
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 1:17 AM

It also helps to be comfortable with the kid you child is playing with so that you can tell that other child that just because they are "the guest" dosn't mean they can take the toy your child is playing with.  I agree with an above mom that sometimes it is ok to keep a toy to yourself. 

PosinourHarmony
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 1:52 AM

My kids have always been good wit sharing. You jus have ta remind them that it's polite to share and you'd want them ta share wit you.

RebeccaAxeRosa
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 11:30 AM

I will offer to share things with my daughter and I will be sure to use that word so that she knows that that is what I am doing. I will also offer to share with other family members (ex, my husband or her grandparents) so that she sees that adults share with other adults, not just with kids.

When I see her sharing, I will again use that word so that she knows that that is what she is doing. I will give her a lot of praise too, so that she knows that this is a good thing to do.

caitlynevansmom
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM
I don't call it sharing. I call it taking turns with my two toddlers (DD is 2, DS is 3). I try not to bring toys to the park cause I don't want to deal with someone else's child who doesn't respect other kids' toys. And it drives me nuts when parents let their kids bring toys to a public place and they don't share! I spend 20 minutes trying to explain to my child why someone won't let him play with a toy. They are so young and they are just learning the concept of taking turns. So, don't bring toys to a public place I your child isn't into sharing. It's just torturing the other kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
charliebean
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 6:42 PM

I share pretty much everything with Charlotte, and in turn, she's learned to be a very generous little girl. Almost TOO generous in fact, because she's very adamant about sharing food and will shove it in your face if you say no thank you, lol. 

bhwrn1
by on Apr. 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM

We just keep telling them to share and showing them what it means. They must take turns with things. If they fight over something, it goes away. When it comes back out, they have to share or it goes goodbye for good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN