Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peppa Pig on Nick jr.... inappropriate content for kids

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM
  • 75 Replies

So earlier my 4yr old was watching Peppa Pig on Nick Jr and I was listening to it.. Well to make this short they used the word stupid and Tom  Dick and Harry. This is a pre-school channel. I am upset about this. I know that my daughter will learn these things but it shouldn't be from a educational program. Ladies am I wrong here? Any im-put...  I also emailed Nick Jr to complain.

by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy259
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly why my DD is only allowed to watch PBS or the sprout channel

Iconoclast
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I've never seen or heard of the show and am not sure as to the problem.  Is the problem the word stupid?  Or that one of the characters is named Dick? 

For stupid, I don't totally understand the anger.  I lived on the east coast most of my life and stupid was like saying silly.  I now live on the west coast and realize that stupid is seen in a negative way.  Also it is a word that is used some times.  Was there a point to the show, a moral to the story? There are many words that are negative or that I wasn't allowed to say because my parents thought this or that about it and although I heard it from different sources a plenty I knew it wasn't something that was to come out my mouth.

"Don't tell me about the Good book now, son. I'll preach heaven and beat the hell outta you."

lundaylove
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

my kids like peppa pig and usually im there watching it with them, didnt see it today so i dont know what you are talking about but ive never seen anything inappropriate about it. and you have to remember, this is a series that comes from outside the US so their meanings behind things are way different than here. 

bunnywzrd
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I don't see stupid as a really bad word and Tom, Dick and Harry are just names

shortiekid
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:10 PM

i agree...its not made in us..its a outside show...if u dont like it then dont watch it!

calimommy1021
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

My daughter was watching that a little while ago too. I heard the Tom Dick and Harry remark too but wasn't really paying attention to the context of it. And I never heard the word stupid, but I'm not saying it wasn't said. I just wasn't paying attention, I have learned to block out her shows sometimes lol. But I don't think that's very appropriate either, they shouldn't be teaching toddlers that kind of stuff.  

momoftwins_2
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:19 PM

i HATE when there are shows on for young kida and they say things like this...totallly innapropirate

manifer_momma
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM
Mine too.

Quoting mommy259:

Exactly why my DD is only allowed to watch PBS or the sprout channel

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KotaBaby
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:23 PM

That's waht i was thinking too. I used to have a little british girl in my class and Peppa Pig is big time overseas. Maybe stupid has a different, not so bad meaning in diff countries?? Not sure..but I agree with your point. My son learned the words idiot and shut up off of Toy Story. The first one is especially bad with those two words. 

Quoting lundaylove:

my kids like peppa pig and usually im there watching it with them, didnt see it today so i dont know what you are talking about but ive never seen anything inappropriate about it. and you have to remember, this is a series that comes from outside the US so their meanings behind things are way different than here. 

mommy_carrillo
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 2:31 PM
I have to agree with you OP. I only really allow my boys, 1yo and 2yo, to watch Disney Jurnior and Sprout. I was letting them watch Nick Jr until I realize their favorite show Wow Wow Wubzy was about him doing things that were "wrong" (IMO) and his friends would correct him. I just didn't see that as appropriate for their ages.
As for using the word stupid my boys will copy EVERYTHING they hear and at their ages I do not want them repeating that word.
I also agree that the educational channels should not be teaching those words for PRE SCHOOL OR TODDLER aged children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)